Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AaronE, Sep 29, 2008.

1. AaronE macrumors 6502

Wheres the best place to get a 15" Powerbook G4 with say a 1.5 GHz processor and maybe 1GB of RAM?

I'm guessing eBay but what price do these go for, and would it be worth buying for casual use?

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I'd personally rather have a MacBook. I currently own a PowerBook, and it is slow, but very good considering it is 5.

It will be okay for basic use, but for 899 you could get refurb MacBook that will still be able to take on the Operating system for years and years down the road, unlike the PowerBook which may be out once Snow Leopard is released. Anyway, check out eBay and Craigslist, you'll be looking at 500-700 for one in a pretty good condition.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would check out eBay, if you play your cards right you should be able to get a good deal on a PowerBook G4 or MacBook.

I have a 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 and it is a great little laptop. If you just plan on doing word processing, iTunes, surfing the web, etc..., then the G4 will work just fine for you.

That being said, I just recently purchased a MacBook Air to replace my PowerBook G4 as my main laptop.

4. AaronE thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea thats pretty much all I would use it for. I prefer the look of the MacBook Pro, but I really have no need for one. Thats why I'm thinking of a Powerbook.

5. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

It depends on the price that you are willing to pay. If you can afford it, go for the Macbook.

If you can only spend $4-500, then a late-model Powerbook would be a good buy for you. As a bonus not available on the Macbook you will get backlit keyboard (which I love on my PB), FW800 port (which I use occasionally), as well as built-in modem (which I never used in almost 4 years, but some people might find it a plus). Also, you will avoid the glossy screen (which is the main reason why I personally might have gone with PB if I were at your place).

As for the best place to get one, check your local craigslist - you have the best chance of finding the best prices there. You might also check some online stores specializing in used macs (google: used powerbook), but those carry higher price tags.

6. AaronE thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've been looking on eBay and I'm trying to decide between the 12" and 15" Powerbooks. It looks like they go for about the same price, but I'm not sure if I'd like using a non-widescreen laptop. Any tips on which model I should go for?

Would I notice the difference between the 1.67 GHz model and maybe one that is a few hundred megahertz less?

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The 12" is a nice machine. Although it sports a puny 1024 x 768 resolution (and of course is non widescreen).

8. AaronE thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I really like the 12" version, but the 15 is nice too.

I do want portability because I need to take it back and forth to school once in a while. Is the 15 too much for this?

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have a PB G4 1.5 GHz. You definately need 2GB of RAM. Often the battery is worn out and lasts only for 1 hour. I know because i bought a battery for mine last week. The ram and the Battery are close to $200 alone. The powerbook is probably $500 or so. There is also the problem that the screen backlighting gets worse over time and the CCFL might burn out. That is a quite complicated repair.

I would not buy a Powerbook anymore because there is a good chance that you get a aluminium case Macbook for $999 in the near future.

10. p.luik macrumors regular

12 Inch Pb For Sale

I have a 12" PowerBook G4 with a 1.5GHz processor and 1.25 GB of RAM. This model has an 80 GB HD and a SuperDrive. I am selling the computer for $750. I just bought a brand new battery that has 17% higher capacity vs. Apple replacement from macsales.com. I will include a black incase sleeve. I have the power adapter, install discs, and original box and manuals. I also have Leopard, iWork '08, iLife '08, and Office 2008 installed. PM me if you are interested.