PowerBook hard drive failure

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Davy.Shalom, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Hey, is it possible my brother's PowerBook (This is my brothers I am asking about: specs in signature, cept without 250 GB HDD, instead it is 80) hard drive is failing? His mac gets SUPER warm in the bottom left corner, and that vent on the side doesn't seem to do anything. I am wondering whether or not to replace it, but since he just uses it for school, I don't see why I should if it is not dying.

Is excessive heat one of the signs of HDD failure? Was this model of the 12" PowerBook known for heat issues?

It is not the fan, because I just replace the fan a couple months ago because it had died. This new one is an apple part. Anyway, the RAM does not get very warm, and the processor and graphics chip are all fine. Its just that HDD!!

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

While that might be an indication, you are more likely to hear the drive clicking before failure.

The 12" PB was known to run hot, especially the 867, but since you didn't give us any details about the machine we don't know which one you have. In fact I almost missed that it was a 12" Powerbook.

3. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

It is the one in the signature. Anyway, I replaced it, and its running a bit louder (since it is faster), but cooler.