Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
I am using a Powerbook for work purposes. At my office, I have an external display, mouse and bluetooth keyboard, so basically, when I'm at work, I never need to open my powerbook. I just plug everything in and roll. Lately, however, I've noticed that at the end of the day when I pack up my Powerbook that it is quite hot, and I wonder if keeping the lid closed all the time (with a RadTech chamois thing in there) is making it too hot... Would it be healthier to leave the lid open, even if I am nt using the screen or keyboard? And when I slip it in my Considerable Embarrassment to bring it home, should I be letting it cool down a bit before slipping it into the snug, padded compartment in the bag?

My MiniStat widget says that my Powerbook averages about 105 degrees (F) while I'm working.

Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks for any insight.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
105!!! I wish mine would run that low. My powerbook g4 runs currently at 145º with the lid open!!! and thats with only typing on MR for just over an hour after being on sleep all day!!! It has peaked at 150-ish doing heavy processor work for a long time, it has never been below 120 under minimal work after 1 hour (minimal as being typing, ichatting, listening to music, etc.), and it averages around 140. You are lukcy or i am cursed. and i have heard more about PBs running hot. so i think your just lucky. its the ppc chip. i'm assuming that the MBPs run cooler but have no scientific theory on that, just it being intel and intel generally runs cooler than ppc.

ekenny

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
New York
105 degrees F (~40 C) really isnt that bad. I would imagine that even if you are using an external display that if you have the lid opened, the built in LCD will be running (possibly wearing out the backlight sooner). I have been wondering this myself though.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
yankeefan24 said:
105!!! I wish mine would run that low. My powerbook g4 runs currently at 145º with the lid open!!! and thats with only typing on MR for just over an hour after being on sleep all day!!! It has peaked at 150-ish doing heavy processor work for a long time, it has never been below 120 under minimal work after 1 hour (minimal as being typing, ichatting, listening to music, etc.), and it averages around 140. You are lukcy or i am cursed. and i have heard more about PBs running hot. so i think your just lucky. its the ppc chip. i'm assuming that the MBPs run cooler but have no scientific theory on that, just it being intel and intel generally runs cooler than ppc.

Wow, okay. Well, I guess I should consider myself lucky then!

MyLeftNut

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Screen damage?

This begs the question...if the screen is closed nearly all the time and the PB is getting very hot over many weeks...does that affect the screen? Dont know if Im talking out of my arse here but any ideas?:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.