Powerbook Heat!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hesekial, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Hesekial macrumors newbie

I have recently received an old 12" powerbook from a buddy, and I am wondering if it is normal for these things to run hot. It seems to run fairly hot and the fans are always buzzing pretty loud. Is this normal? Thanks! The powerbook has OS X 10.5

2. nintapple macrumors member

I just bought a 12" Powerbook G4 a few days ago. When I initially turn it on in an air conditioned room, the fan is near silent. Then after a few minutes, the laptop gets hot. That's when the fan really kicks in and becomes noisy. I'm also feeling the heat since I'm lying down and close to it.

3. Hesekial thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got up and let it sit for awhile and the fans turned off, but as soon as I run anything, ie. xcode, It seems to get pretty hot. I suppose that's just the nature of a heavy lode on a small computer...

4. Hesekial thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got up and let it sit for awhile and the fans turned off, but as soon as I run anything, ie. xcode, It seems to get pretty hot. I suppose that's just the nature of a heavy lode on a small computer...

5. rdp5008 macrumors regular

rdp5008

I only notice the heat when I use my powerbook in bed watching a movie or something. Sometimes when it is in my lap. The fan spins up fairly loudly, but since it is no longer my primary computer I don't do much heavy usage on it anymore.

But yes, I have heard on these forums that Powerbooks run hot! There are some programs that will monitor temperature, and I think if you search the forums you can find out typical temps for other users?