Powerbook help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ian Wilko, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Ian Wilko macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I know technology has moved on somewhat but I've had my 12" Powerbook for what seems forever and I don't want to upgrade just yet, it's been part of my life for too long !!!!! :D

There's a power problem. While it had it's last few volts the computer ran fine but the power / battery icon flickered between power and battery with the adapter plugged in, but the battery continued to drain, not charge. The screen flickered to, brighter on power, dull when the icon flicked back to battery. I know that just in the power options, I just thought it might be handy info ???

When you plug the adapter in I'm sure the light used to go yellow for a second and then change to orange ?? My memory may be tricking me but that's what I thought, now it just stays the initial yellow.

It seems to be the 'controller' for the power management, I do have another one of these 12" G4's here, exact same unit but with a broken screen. Anyone have any idea what part I need to change inside ??

I'e upgrade the HD a couple of times so I'm cool with opening the case and doing a few swaps, just need to know what part.

Of course I'd love to not open the case and find an easy answer if there is one !!!!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

this belong in the powerpc forum.

as for the issue my iphone does the same with an old car charger i have, it is otherwise fine, try using a different charger.

3. Ian Wilko thread starter macrumors newbie

Doooh, sorry, I did have a look around but couldn't see a forum dedicated to old Powerbooks so just chose the MBP forum.

Tried another power supply already, and the orig power supply will charge the battery fine on my original smashed screen Powerbook.

It does seem to be whatever controls the battery to power adapter change internally in the Mac.

4. sydenham macrumors regular

You will probably find that its time to change your power adaptor. I hated those connectors on the powerbooks. I used to have to buy a new one every year or so. The middle part of what looks like a phono adaptor would always get bent and you have to push and twist till it makes a good contact. Also The receptacle that takes the connector always seemed to get bent. You will probably find that if you buy a new power supply it will work for a few months, and go orange while its charging, and turn green when its charged. But once the receptacle on the powerbook is bent out of shape, the new power supply will not work well for very long. Good luck.

5. dvh13 macrumors newbie

Based on your symptoms, I would guess it is either the DC-in board or the dc-dc board inside your machine. You should be able to swap it out from the smashed screen powerbook to the otherwise working powerbook. ifixit.com has great walkthroughs with detailed pictures to assist you along the way. Not sure which 12" powerbook model you own, so I am including a link to powerbook page and you can probably manage it from there. I've seem similar symptoms in an intel macbook and replacing the dc-in board solved the issue. That was a fairly straightforward repair. I've never opened a powerbook before so I can't say much as to how hard this will be, but since you say you've opened it before I'll just say good luck! I hope you can breathe new life into that beautiful mac.

http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/PowerBook_G4_Aluminum