Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suitedstranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Hello all!
I am selling my wife's powerbook (os 10.4) and need some help. I need to be able to clear her information while still keeping the OS (we do not have the disk anymore). Any help would be greatly appreciated for this newbie :)

Thanks!!

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
Hello all!
I am selling my wife's powerbook (os 10.4) and need some help. I need to be able to clear her information while still keeping the OS (we do not have the disk anymore). Any help would be greatly appreciated for this newbie :)

Thanks!!

I found this quote on another thread..

How to “reset” a Mac OS X installation
Here’s how to “reset” an installed Mac OS X and virtually return to a “virgin” state with a welcome screen prompting the user to setup and customize his Mac OS X installation:

1. Press Command-S during startup to get into single user mode

2. Check the filesystem:
# /sbin/fsck -fy

3. Mount the root partition as writable:
# /sbin/mount -uw /

4. Remove the hidden .AppleSetupDone file:
# rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

5. a) For Mac OS X 10.5 ‘Leopard’ and newer, do:

# launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist &

Repeat for every user previously defined on the machine (replace {username} with the real user name):
# dscl . -delete /Users/{username}
(optionally execute the next line, most people won't probably need it)
# dscl . -delete /Groups/admin GroupMembership {username}

5. b) For older versions of Mac OS X, do:

# rm -rf /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb

6. Remove the home directories of users. For every user do (replace {username} with the real user name):
# rm -rf /Users/{username}

7. If applicable, remove already created files in root’s home directory, e.g.
# rm /root/.bash_history

8. Reboot:

# reboot

You can also optionally remove the files in /Library/Preferences with:
# rm -R /Library/Preferences/
This could effect some third party apps installed.

Oh and it's useful to point out this method will not touch the installed OS, or installed Apps, just remove personal data, and reset the OS to a "welcome state."

Hope you find it useful, I've used it for ever Mac I've sold in the last 5 years.
-Cheule

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.