PowerBook & imac compatability for lepord?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chrisbone123, Oct 8, 2007.

1. chrisbone123 macrumors newbie

I'm a new be to macs and not computer genius.

I just wanna know which powerbooks and iMac's are compatable with lepord,

I'm thinking about buying a used labtop and home computer.

Thanx for the help.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

3. andrewag macrumors 6502

If you want to run Leopard with reasonable speed make sure it's fairly recent. While Apple does support older hardware with newer versions of Mac OS X, computers that only just scrape in don't handle it all that well (as you would expect).

10.4 runs on older iMac's, but anything slower than 800Mhz and the experience is not all that smooth. That said, Apple try to make the OS compatible with the widest amount of hardware it can because naturally it will enable more potential sales.

4. chrisbone123 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No telling on what machines Apple will limit the OS until it ships, since the OS will likely be much snappier than the developer builds in its final form.

No telling if the 866MHz developer limit will hold, or it will fall back to 800MHz.

I can see Apple wanting the 800MHz target, since that will keep a lot of G4 iBook/PowerBook users happy.

But anything near that slow will likely be agonizing near the minimum requirements if they are low on RAM, and getting hammered by the VM Manager.

---

Basically wait if you are thinking of buying a machine to run Leopard, the shipping date announcement and the system requirements should be announced by the end of the month.