Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ldenman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
well, i got my imac about a month or so ago and really like it.
its the 20" 2.ghz. only, a little bit after i bought it, they released the new ones!!!!! :(

anyhow, i really need the portability of a powerbook.
i use my imac for small editing of dv and a little bit of programming.i also play wow(which runs crappy, for some reason.)
Do you think i should go ahead and sell my imac and get a powerbook?
also, is there a way that i could back my hd up onto my ipod and copy it over to the powerbook?

thanks.

edit:
sorry, i thought that i was in the buying...etc forum.
oops.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The PowerBook will be considerably slower. I recommend looking at an iBook if you're not planning on doing anything too intensive on the road but would still like the portability, keeping the iMac for the hard stuff. :)

As for backing up to an iPod, that's fine. You'll want to Enable Disk Usage in the iPod preferences if you haven't already (through iTunes).

ldenman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
i forgot to mention i do a lot of recording also with reason/garageband/soundtrack pro. It gets pretty ram intensive. I think i'm gonna max it out at 2 gigs. i can afford it, only if i sell the imac.
i would much rather have a powerbook than an ibook.

ldenman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
mmm...well, i suppose it is worth it.
need of portability>speed

thanks madjew.

edit:
i just don't want to buy it and have another release come out.
i'd be pissed.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
ldenman said:
edit:
i just don't want to buy it and have another release come out.
i'd be pissed.

The current PowerBooks only just came out so you should be pretty safe knowing you have one of the fastest Mac laptops out there until they go Intel sometime late next year (at the earliest). :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Awesome. :)

Just don't hold me accountable when Apple releases the 3.0GHz G5 PowerBook next Tuesday, to the surprise of the entire industry. :D

In all seriousness, the current PowerBooks really should be competitive until 2007.

ldenman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
..not a bad idea...
a lot cheaper too...
i think you're on to something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.