Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
I'm thinking about upgrading the HD in my PowerBook, and am wondering if 120GB is he largest available. I've searched for 160GB drives, but all I can find is press releases stating that they have been developed by various manufacturers. Any ideas as to when they'll reach the market? I just don't want to go out and buy a top of the line 120GB drive when 160's will be out in a matter of days/weeks. However, if 160GB drives won't be out until sometime 2006, I'll go ahead and get a 120GB now.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
I was looking in to this about a month ago and, from memory, the 120GB drives had only just been introduced. I would imagine that 160GB drives will be a few months away at the least and they'll more than likely be prohibitively expensive.

But that's just a semi-educated guess on my part :eek:

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
stoid said:
I'm thinking about upgrading the HD in my PowerBook, and am wondering if 120GB is he largest available. I've searched for 160GB drives, but all I can find is press releases stating that they have been developed by various manufacturers. Any ideas as to when they'll reach the market? I just don't want to go out and buy a top of the line 120GB drive when 160's will be out in a matter of days/weeks. However, if 160GB drives won't be out until sometime 2006, I'll go ahead and get a 120GB now.
If you don't mind me asking, but why upgrade the internal HDD when you could buy/make a nice external that could be had for cheaper and bigger?

What size HDD are you upgrading from?

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
stonyc said:
If you don't mind me asking, but why upgrade the internal HDD when you could buy/make a nice external that could be had for cheaper and bigger?

What size HDD are you upgrading from?

I have an external 250GB 3.5inch drive for video storage, but I want to have more storage on the go. I have only 60GB internal HD. With growing music and photo libraries especially, I need more space. I would get a bus powered 2.5 inch drive, but from my experience, they lay a huge hit on battery life, thus decreasing overall portability.

edit: yeah, it looks like the perpendicular recording is still on the horizon. It seems correct to assume that the new drives will be very expensive. A 120GB is more than enough for the next two years, and by then the PBook will be 4 years old, and probably in need of replacement.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
stoid said:
I have an external 250GB 3.5inch drive for video storage, but I want to have more storage on the go. I have only 60GB internal HD. With growing music and photo libraries especially, I need more space. I would get a bus powered 2.5 inch drive, but from my experience, they lay a huge hit on battery life, thus decreasing overall portability.
Gotcha.. if the 120's just came out recently, maybe a 100GB would be a nice compromise price-point.

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Doubling your internal space sounds cool. If you need the space I would say go for it, unless there is a huge price difference between the 100 and 120. I just recently got my PB so Im on par with my 100 internal.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
Just found this:
Seagate ATA/100 7200RPM 100GB drive. Model number: ST910021A

How can I best verify that this hard drive is absolutely compatible with my PowerBook. I have a 2 year old 1.25 Ghz 15inch "Firewire 800" model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.