PowerBook issue: audio balance keeps changing to either left or right

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 4np, May 24, 2007.

1. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I have this weird issue with my PowerBook (2nd last revision) for quite a while; whenever I plug my iPod headphones in I only hear audio on either the left or the right side. When I then go to the audio panel the audio balance is also to the left or the right. When I center it the audio is fine. However, when I plug again the headphones in at a later stage the audio balance is again off to the left or the right.

Is anybody familiair with this issue?

2. Queso macrumors G4

I was getting that a few months ago on my Rev A. PB12", always to the left. It happened every time I used RealPlayer or its plug-in. In the end I re-installed that and the problem went away.

Might not be RealPlayer for you, but is there any other audio software you are using regularly that could be causing it?

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, it's a familiar issue. Just have to keep checking the audio balance.

4. davipt macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, a lot. Happened to a Powerbook G4 1GHz and to a newer Powerbook 1.5GHz. Now on the MacBook Pro, it never happened.

What happened to me was the following:
    - at the office listening to music through the phones
    - take the phones jack out
    - close the lid and get to standby
    - at home, I'd use the laptop but don't use the phones or notice if the sound is wrong
    - next day at the office, open the lid, connect the phones, start itunes, bum - sound in a random place - could be full left, full right, middle or (seldomly) even 33/50% to a side.

Tryed hard to report a bug in radar and explain what and how it happened, but the developer never understood. Then I got the MacBook and never cared about it anymore.

5. 4np thread starter macrumors 6502a

4np

Weird... Ah well, it's not very annoying; it's just weird ;)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its a known bug. Balanced should fix it for you. worked in the past for me.