PowerBook Mac OS install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SCIENTIST29, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SCIENTIST29 macrumors member

Hi. Yesterday i atempted to install mac os 10.5 to my powerbook g4 1.67, it didnt go well so i had the hard drive formatted via target mode and atempted to reinstall the original 10.3 the disc loads up, but i cant get past the welcome to mac os installer window. i click on continue and nothing happens. I also tried the same via target mode in case it was a bad optical drive, but the same thing happened. then i also tried the disc in a different pb and it works just fine. The 10.5 disc doesnt load at all- i was waiting at least 15 mins on the grey apple screen and nothing hapened. What could be the problem and what should i do? thanks

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Are you sure you formatted it the right way, it needs Apple partition map, not GUID, that's only for intel macs.

Edit: You can see this in Disk Utility, click on the disk and look in the lower part of Disk Utilty, it should say Apple Partition Map.

3. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

In fact i didnt partition it at all. I just used the erase function in disc utility and chose mac os journaled.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just look if it is APM, if not it won't install.

5. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is APM

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Erm, I just checked Mactracker and it says original OS is Mac OS X 10.3.7 (7T62), so if your disk is 10.3 that might be the problem.

Insert the Install disk in the working mac, open the disk in Finder then navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices inside that folder is a file called SystemVersion.plist, open it and report which version the install disk is.

7. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

Its not 10.3. I just meant panther by that. It is mac os 10.3.x and is definately the original disc. It says so on the dvd itself- powerbook and ibook g4

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ok.

Have you tried to reset the PRAM(3X), might help.

If not I think the only way to get 10.5 on it is, or copy the system from another Powerbook with Target Disk mode, or what I said before get the HD out of the affected powerbook and place it in an external/inside the working one and install.

9. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

I have another powerbook g4(only different configuration- 1,5ghz. The atempt to install was on a 1.67ghz). How would i go about copying the system?

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

So, on the 1.5 Ghz there is also 10.5?

If so, connect both of them with Firewire cable, start the 1.67 up in Target Disk mode( you already did before) then use carbon Copy cloner to copy the whole disk from the working 1.5 Ghz to the 1.67 Ghz.
    That’s all.

11. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

I will try that. thanks

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No worriesw.
    Report back please, like to know if it worked.

13. SCIENTIST29, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

So i copied the system but still get the grey apple screen, once i got to a blank blue screen. Any other ideas?

14. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Are there two RAM sticks inside, if yes remove one, boot and see if it works, if not put the one removed earlier back in the same slot and remove the other one and try again.
    I have the same PB and My lower slot has the notorious fault in it.
    If you open the Memory door the one on top is the Upper slot.
    Just give it a try.
    I am beginning to suspect HW problems, you could download Apple Hardware Test from Apple's site, burn that image and run it.
    Odd thing is though, I tried many times to run that Test but it never runs on My PB, but so does Linux Install disks.
    My PB also does not have a serial number in System Profiler, must have its Logic board replaced and forgot to replace the serial.

15. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

The RAM is ok, I only have one in the upper slot, because i know the computer does have the lower slot fail.
    I will try to run hardware test that is on the original installation disc.

16. SCIENTIST29 thread starter macrumors member

Hardware test shows everything to be ok. What next?

17. Cubytus macrumors 65816

If possible, you could always pay a visit to your local Genius Bar. Obviously the machine is out of warranty, but they will still be able to pinpoint the issue.