Powerbook Makes High Buzz Static Noise and Crashes?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BlackRR, Jul 8, 2008.

1. BlackRR macrumors newbie

My mac has worked great for the last 2 years since ive owned it and it just started to act a lil differently about 2 weeks ago. I started to notice that it started to act a lil slower than normal when i was surfing the internet. Then a couple of days ago the computer started making like a buzzing noise , kinda sounds like interference . Like when a cell phone gets close to a stereo system. Sometimes the noise will go away and then when i start opening diff app. that use computer cpu the noise happens again. It was just making the noise and i was dealing with it until the computer started to crash. It would look like the screen was on fire and everything would just freeze. Do you guys think it is the hardrive ?????? and if it was what would be my best option for fixing this. Can i save the stuff that is on my current drive ?? I have a bunch of stuff that is very important on this hardrive.

whats the best place to buy a hardrive if i need one ??? and can i buy a hardrive that can hold more than the stock 74.53 toshiba MK8025GAS ??

thanks for the help

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The high pitch sound could be coming from the HD, since that's the only moving thing in your system, besides the fans - though they won't cause the system to halt and crash.

Will the data be recoverable? Well, if you stop using the machine NOW! The data might be recoverable. However, if you wait till the drives complete dead! It'll cost you more money to retrieve the data!! - is it worth it?

As far as replacement drives goes.

For a PowerBook 15" system all you need is a stock 2.5" IDE HD (not a SATA) it's gotta be 9.5mm high! I believe Western Digital has a 250Gb that's suitable for the PowerBook and if you shop around, you should be able to pick it up for a decent price.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=346

3. BlackRR thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it matter what hard drive rpm i select?? I looked that western digital is 5200 rpms. I do a lot of video and music stuff and wondered if that would make a difference ?

4. BlackRR thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone ??? The noise only happens when the computer is under load or im surfing the internet and im switching pages or downloading something

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

The sound could be coming from anywhere, not necessarily the disk drive. Capacitors make that sound when they are going bad.

It would help if you post the latest kernel panic log from /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/panic.log as well as the system.log which you can get from running the Console application in /Applications/Utilities/Console.

6. BlackRR thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to the Mac store today and got a new charger and no problems have been seen since then. Before I did that i unhooked the power cable and took it apart and put it back together and plugged it into a new outlet surge protector. It was working pretty good but the new one doesnt have any noise coming out of the computer . I took a hit spending the 85 bucks at the apple store for the new cable , but I have 2 parties to dj this weekend and I need this computer working. Apple was also cool enuff to let me use the charger for 3 weeks to see if it was indeed the charger or something else that was temp. hidden.

Im gonna cross my fingers and hope it works , so far so good.