PowerBook / MBP Logic board?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Wireless Buddy, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

Hi folks. I bought my first Mac (iBook) last December. However, it is now dead from logic board failure. I was looking at Macbooks but they are very expensive, which is why I bought the iBook in the first place. So now I'm looking at 15" PowerBook G4. My question is: If having a G4 proves too difficult in the next few years (PowerPC compatibility and speed), could I put a logic board from a 15" MBP in the PB?

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

no, why would u think that, they are entirely different models. The MBP uses an intel chipset, whereas the powerbook still uses an ibm chip.

3. Wireless Buddy thread starter macrumors regular

Ummm, that's kind of the point. Did you even read my post? The reason I think it may work is because they have almost identical bodies.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Almost, but not actually identical. Points where I think it won't work:
    1. Ports might not line up
    2. Battery connection is almost certainly different
    3. Screen connection may be different
    4. WiFi is different
    5. Hard drive connection likely to be different

6. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I did read your post, no need for the sarcasm. If u have ever looked at the powerbook and mbp up close, u would realize that what u are suggestion would be impossible. I have both computers, and the ports on each computer are different. This means that even if u acquired a logic board from a mbp, which is quite expensive btw, it would not fit into the case of the pb. Not to mention if the lcd screen would work with the newer logic board/video card/cpu etc.

I can't see why u would want to do something like this, b/c it would be cheaper to just by a macbook.