Powerbook Models

Z6128

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
i am trying to decide on which PowerBook to get and was wondering what people thought of their Powerbooks (Aluminum Models). i also had some questions about the powerbooks.

1.does the 12in make you go cross-eyed after a while?

2.how portable is the 15in model?

3.is the 17 in just too big to carry around?

4.is there a big difference between 1.5ghz and 1.67ghz?

5.how is the screen quality on the Powerbooks.

6.how are the graphics?

7.is the ATI Radeon 9700 a better video card than the NVIDEA card found in the 12in Powerbooks?

8.how is the backlit keyboard

thanks in advance for any input.

RooX

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2005
Answered under each question
Z6128 said:
i am trying to decide on which PowerBook to get and was wondering what people thought of their Powerbooks (Aluminum Models). i also had some questions about the powerbooks.

not at all, use supercal on it and its a great display

reasonably so. Not a huge pain, thats for sure.

it gets a bit annyoing on long journeys

not a huge amount. My opinion, is that if you get teh 15" you should opt for it, the increased resolution and thus the programs you try running will like the extra oomph. (i normally run things at lower resolutions on smaller laptops)

I think its very good, but not great. There are nicers ones out there, but it certaintly is not bad. And the nicer ones usually will scratch easier and will reflect light FAR worse.

6.how are the graphics?
Great. No issues playing anything i have tried so far. WoW, WCIII, wolf:ET, UT2004, no issues on any powerbook currently made.

7.is the ATI Radeon 9700 a better video card than the NVIDEA card found in the 12in Powerbooks?
yes it is, although the nvidia is not a bad card. if you want the best, get teh extra 64meg vid option on the 15" or 17"

Fun, but unecassary (ie, its not a dealbreaker either way) I find the screen gives off more than enough light on the 12" to illuminate the keyboard, but i have used the light keyboard and thought it was cool. Im not at issue with using a keyboard in dark environments though, i work in a dispatch centre.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I can only touch on a few here and there.

Does the 12in make me go crosseyed?
Absolutely not. Although, I would catch myself with my face just 6 inches from the screen while working on some intricate projects.

Screen quality on the PowerBooks?
As stated above, good, not great. More than sufficient for just about everything, but they could stand to be a little bit brighter. Also, my 12in needed special calibration to be close to color-accurate.

Hope it helps.

Z6128

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
thanks. i'm deciding right now whether to get the 12in PowerBook Combo drive with a 20in ACD or a 15in PowerBook Superdrive. in the end they ocme out to be almost the same price. any suggestions.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Well, I've sold my 12in PowerBook and will be purchasing a 15in PowerBook very soon. I opted for the 15 over a 12 + External because I still wanted a complete portable solution.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Z6128 said:
thanks. i'm deciding right now whether to get the 12in PowerBook Combo drive with a 20in ACD or a 15in PowerBook Superdrive. in the end they ocme out to be almost the same price. any suggestions.
It seems that if you would have gone with a superdrive, you really have no urgent need for a dvd burner. That being the case, why not go for the 15'' with a combo drive, save those extra $200 and get a cinema display later. If you do plan on using a dvd burner then by all means the second plan is better.

Z6128

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
rockthecasbah thanks for the advice. that's most likely what i'll be doing.
i don't think i'd be able to get used to the smaller screen being that all the computers i use now have either a 15in or larger screen.and for now, i don't have a need for a dvd burner. i can always get an external DL burner later on if i need it. thanks for the help everyone

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Z6128 said:

No

Very portable (just love mine)

Yes, but you should go to the apple store and try to carry one yourself. Everyone's different

Not really

very nice!

6.how are the graphics?
very nice! Am working with photoshop, illustrator, Halo on my PB

probably so since it's 128 VRAM vs 32 VRAM

Nice to have during flights on the plane

You're welcome :D