PowerBook no WPA2 on 10.4

erfg1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
I purchased a PowerBook on eBay and it was on 10.5. I was able to connect to my wifi with WPA2 security. I wanted the classic feature on 10.4, so I burned the 10.4 CDs I got from macintoshrepository and did a fresh new installation of 10.4.

Once I got on 10.4 there was no WPA2 security option for wifi. I tried to update to 10.4.11, but still no WPA2 option. Also, all 3D games crash. Games like EverQuest for Mac and WoW Vanilla both crash right before a 3D model is rendered. Not sure if that's related or not.

So I'm stuck, any help to get WPA2 working, etc. would be great.

weckart

macrumors 601
Nov 7, 2004
Any Tiger install after 10.4.2 should have all the necessary drivers, since that was the last release of OSX bundled with PPC machines (although some PMs and PBs got 10.4.4 refreshes).

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
Installing Tiger (10.4 Retail DVD) on an iBook G4 the other night I noticed the same thing. Once updated to 10.4.11, the WPA/WPA2 options became available (for me).

Maybe try a reinstall? Also try installing the last security update.

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
My Digital Audio has the same problem, and it's on 10.4.11. I can not connect at all with WPA2. When I reboot it into the Leopard partition, it works fine. I've had to use a wireless Ethernet bridge to work around it, though I shouldn't have to.

Project Alice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I purchased a PowerBook on eBay and it was on 10.5. I was able to connect to my wifi with WPA2 security. I wanted the classic feature on 10.4, so I burned the 10.4 CDs I got from macintoshrepository and did a fresh new installation of 10.4.

Once I got on 10.4 there was no WPA2 security option for wifi. I tried to update to 10.4.11, but still no WPA2 option. Also, all 3D games crash. Games like EverQuest for Mac and WoW Vanilla both crash right before a 3D model is rendered. Not sure if that's related or not.

What PowerBook is this? If it has an original airport card, it will never work. Though they do support WPA, they only support WPA1 and it has to be TKIP, which is considered insecure and usually is disable by default on most access points. If the PB has an airport extreme, it should work. Somehow I have a feeling you have an older PowerBook with the original card...

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2019

There is WP2 (both Personal and Enterprise) available in Tiger but it is buried deep in the preference setup.

Go to Network -> Show Airport -> then select airport tab -> then select "by default Join Preferred Networks". Under preferred networks, add a tab to join and you will be presented by a series of protocols including WP2 Personal and Enterprise. I've done it with many Powerbook G4 at work and including my own here and they work, though with Enterprise, it will be slightly finicky with the latest modern routers.

Hope this helps.