Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
I've done some pretty extensive searching and I haven't found much help for this problem. If I've looked over resources already addressing my issue, please forgive me.

I have a 30gig iPod photo that I've formatted on my Windows XP machine. It is my understand that my Powerbook should be able to see the iPod with no problem. However, when I plug my iPod into my Powerbook with the included USB 2.0 cable (Firewire is no longer included) the "Do Not Disconnect" screen comes up on the iPod but nothing happens on my Powerbook. No icons on the desktop, in the sidebar in Finder, or in iTunes. I have tried launching iPod Updater, but it just bounces in the dock for a few moments, then stops bouncing and never opens. At this point, I can't even force quit (or kill via terminal) the application, and I'm forced to reboot by holding down the power button on my Powerbook. The same thing also happens if I start iTunes after connecting my iPod, iTunes freezes on launch and cannot be "Force Quit"-ed.

I have Reset my iPod a couple times with my Windows machine, but I'm unable to reset it on the Mac because iPod Updater won't launch. I have also followed an Apple help page (I can't find the url right now) that told me to delete iPodDriver.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, and then apply a OSX Combo Update, but that didn't fix anything either.

I'd like to be able to get the Powerbook to recognize the iPod so I can sync it with iSync while syncing music with Windows... but at this point I'd be happy to get the Powerbook to recognize the iPod at all! Can anyone shed any light on my situation? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

rasp

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Easthampton, MA
I'm not really sure how this will help, but I did the same thing with my ipod, set it up on windows xp and it works fine on my powerbook, imac 400, and windows. It works on the mac with both firewire and usb. As far as I've read/heard, a 'windows' formatted ipod is using fat32 filesystem, so it should work just fine on both windows and mac.

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
That's my understanding as well Rasp... and that's why I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how to get mine working like it should.

Should I try formatting the iPod with Windows Disk Tools when it's mounted as a mass storage device, or should formatting only be done with the iPod Updater Tools? I'm afraid to experiment with it too much and end up with a dead unit.

thugpeterpup

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
I've done some pretty extensive searching and I haven't found much help for this problem. If I've looked over resources already addressing my issue, please forgive me.

I have a 20gig iPod U2 special edition that I've formatted on my Windows XP machine. It is my understand that my Powerbook should be able to see the iPod with no problem. However, when I plug my iPod into my Powerbook with the included USB 2.0 cable (Firewire is no longer included) the "Do Not Disconnect" screen comes up on the iPod but nothing happens on my Powerbook. No icons on the desktop, in the sidebar in Finder, or in iTunes. I have tried launching iPod Updater, but it just bounces in the dock for a few moments, then stops bouncing and never opens. At this point, I can't even force quit (or kill via terminal) the application, and I'm forced to reboot by holding down the power button on my Powerbook. The same thing also happens if I start iTunes after connecting my iPod, iTunes freezes on launch and cannot be "Force Quit"-ed.

I have Reset my iPod a couple times with my Windows machine, but I'm unable to reset it on the Mac because iPod Updater won't launch. I have also followed an Apple help page (I can't find the url right now) that told me to delete iPodDriver.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, and then apply a OSX Combo Update, but that didn't fix anything either.

I'd like to be able to get the Powerbook to recognize the iPod so I can sync it with iSync while syncing music with Windows... but at this point I'd be happy to get the Powerbook to recognize the iPod at all! Can anyone shed any light on my situation? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.