PowerBook not turning on

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MisterKeeks, Apr 27, 2014.

1. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I purchased a PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz for parts that was missing the battery and hard drive, and did not come with the 65w adapter. When I plug my 45w adapter in and attempt to turn it on, it does not turn on. I have read that this is because of a dead PRAM battery? Is there any way to test this computer without purchasing a new battery and possibly adapter?

Also, are the coin cells for the PRAM battery replaceable?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It will still boot even with a dead or missing PRAM battery. The coin cells within the PRAM battery pack are special expensive rechargeable ones than are spot welded to the tabs and not easy to replace without damaging the battery or battery board.

3. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

It may not boot with a 45W adapter. I can't remember if my 2007 MBP will boot with a 65W adapter.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You must attempt to start with a 65 watt adapter. Starting power is noticably more as devices spin up (hard drives, optical drives) and it tests POST. I can test starting my 15" PowerBook with a 45 watt in a little bit.

5. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Can confirm. I had a late 2005 PB (dropped down the stairs, got it for free :D, then gave it to a friend who needed a laptop) that wouldn't boot off a 45W, only a 60W. I used a cheap, generic charger cause I was strapped for cash.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just tried it with the battery out. The 45 W will power the machine but not through startup and will use the battery as supplemental power under any sort of load. That being said, the 45 W adapter also cannot start a PowerBook without supplemental power from the battery.

7. MisterKeeks thread starter macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

OK, this is good to hear, it may still live! I have a friend who may have a 65w adapter that I can test with. Otherwise, I'll get a generic chinese one off eBay and stomach the $8 loss if the Powerbook doesn't work.

8. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

That 65w is good to keep around anyhow. Can't tell you how many times i've used it to test people's machines.

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

My DLHR 15" (late-2005) refused to boot with a 45W adapter. When I used my 65W, everything worked fine (until it overheated from the lack of a top case). That would be my recommendation, try a 65W. It can make a machine you though was dead function just fine.

10. MisterKeeks thread starter macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Well, I tried using a 65w adapter. Tried a PMU reset, tried swapping out the RAM modules in different configurations in different slots. No dice.

What else could I possibly try?

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's dead Jim! :D

No seriously, my 17" died a few months ago. It has the same symptoms as yours.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

And another one bites the dust...

In all seriousness, ordering a new Logic Board would be in order to get it going!