PowerBook Optical Drive HDD Caddy

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rabidz7, Jun 4, 2013.

1. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

2. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I reordered the OptiBay. Should I move the HDD to the OptiBay and put the SSD where the original HDD was, or are the bus speeds the same? In Debian linux can I create the equivalent of a fusion drive?

3. Wildy macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about the Optibay, but one of the recent kernel updates added full support for dm-cache, which is the closest to a Fusion drive as you'll get out of the box.

4. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

I'm not sure about bus speeds (genrally there either the same or the where the hdd is now will be the slightly quicker one) but you will want the ssd where the hdd is now, this is mainly because the system will automatically check that slot for a os, and because the system was never designed to boot from the port where the disc drive it can cause some bugs. So easier if the ssd is where the hdd is now.

I don't have a clue if Debian can create a fusion drive, just play around with it.

5. soulbot macrumors member

soulbot

Did you ever get this operational? I have a 12" PowerBook that I'd like to add more storage to. Thanks!

6. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

The PowerBook is in pieces because I lost all the screws.

7. loucomu macrumors newbie

I have a 12" PowerBook that I'd like to add more storage to. Thanks![​IMG]

8. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

You're kidding... right?

RGDS,

9. soulbot macrumors member

soulbot

Oh shoot! That's too bad... but I do understand. A friend of mine once had an older MacBook poop out and he wanted to retrieve the hard drive. I agreed to help only because I did not have to re-assemble it. That would've been a deal-breaker as it required the removal of an inordinate amount of screws. I want to say 80+? Either way, it was a LOT!

Anyway, one of these 'data doublers' sounds great but the cost & tedium involved puts it on the threshold of practicality. On a side note, I just put a data doubler in my 2012 MBP. What a cinch! These systems have come a long way!