Powerbook or iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by UTB_Avid, Dec 18, 2005.

  1. UTB_Avid macrumors member

    May 30, 2005
    Grand Rapids
    So insurance has officially denied my claim, and my stolen 15" Powerbook, along with about $1000 worth of personal belongings, will in all likelyhood never grace my hands again. So its time to bite the bullet and credit myself a new Mac, I am just not sure wether I want another PB (i had a lot of problems with the last one) or if maybe I should go with an iMac. I really loved the portability of my PB, but more power larger HD etc. etc. is very tempting in the iMac arena. Any thoughts/recomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. Seasought macrumors 65816


    Nov 3, 2005
    Given the current time frame, I would suggest waiting until after the upcoming MacWorld Expo and then make your decision (either on the new products or on the current ones).

    Independent of that, I still vote for a portable solution but I've been grounded with desktops for the past ten years so that may be influencing my opinion.
  3. danny_w macrumors 601

    Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I'm a newbie when it comes to Macs (having bought my first, a mini, back in January) but I just bought my second iMac and love it! I bought one for my sone this summer for college (20" Rev B) and I just bought a second (17" Rev B refurb) for when he is home (and to introduce my wife to Macs when he is gone).
  4. enckwanzer macrumors member

    Aug 4, 2005
    Charleston, IL, USA
    Bummer deal with the insurance.

    Go for a PB -- you can keep your portability and add firewire HDs for greater storage when you're at home. Of course, if you really can do without the portability (i.e., it won't drive you crazy to not be able to take the tech with you), then it probably makes better financial sense to get the iMac. Personally, I'd go totally nuts if I didn't have my PB ... it goes with me everywhere :)

    Good luck with your decision.

Share This Page