PowerBook or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbsmithmac, Nov 6, 2011.

1. jbsmithmac macrumors regular

Looking for advice here...I have been looking at eBay and the prices of the PowerBooks are enticing.

I am in the market for a new notebook and my primary needs are Internet, dreamweaver, photoshop, and Lightroom.

Would a $300 - $500 eBay PowerBook work well for this, or spend the ~ $2000 for a new MBP?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Uh, depends on which versions of Photoshop you own. A Powerbook will not run the newest version of Photoshop, and will run older ones poorly.

3. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

first, i would never buy a used power book
    this is because they are5 years old plus

second i would never buy the current mbp we should be seeing a new mbp upgrade very soon form the one piece aluminum case

also powerbooks had very slow processors not much faster then the iPad 2

4. amoda macrumors 6502a

I purchased a 12" Powerbook to serve as my secondary laptop coupled with a 17" MBP and that worked alright. However, I would definitely recommend AGAINST having a PB as your main laptop, especially considering what you want to do. I used it solely for Word, PPT and surfing the net and it was pretty slow. If you start doing Aperture and Photoshop and what have you it just won't function well.

If you want to save money how about a ~2008 MBP, rather than going to the extreme and considering a $2K 2011 model? You can probably get one at the $500-800 range and have several times the performance of a PB.

5. efsad macrumors newbie

If I were you, I'd get a ~2007-2009 MacBook Pro; PowerBooks are really dated now. @robbie12345, the MacBook Pro was updated 2 weeks ago and is updated approximately once every 267 days, so don't count on seeing new MacBook Pro's anytime soon.

6. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

my advice is whatever you do, avoid the mbps with Nvidia video chips.

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

For me a Powerbook costing $500 could not be anything less than the top of the line G4/1.67 17" (Double Layer SuperDrive/High Resolution) with working disc drive and ports. Oh, and a spotless case.

Anyway, you haven't given a list if things you want to do with either notebooks. It depends on what software you have or want to have. Like what miles01110 said, it won't run the latest version of say photoshop but it will run the older ones. I use photoshop CS on my powerbook and it runs just fine and isn't that slow.

8. jrfive0 macrumors member

your asking for trouble buying a 5+ yr old used laptop for $500....really dude? :confused::confused:........new 13" MBP's are $1000 at micro center

9. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

no apple didn't release that as ab official update they only did that because ivy bridge was delayed we will definitely be seeing new mbp's after ivy bridge is released in march

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MBP does not cost $2000.

New MacBook Pro starts at $1,199. You can buy refurb MacBook Pro for under $1000, or older MBP for $500.

Currently the Apple refurb section (looks new, same warranty as new) does not have any laptops in stock, but check back:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

11. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the suggestions, looks like I will stay away from the PowerBook.