Powerbook owners with Leopard *urgent*

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zRedbullz, Nov 5, 2007.

1. zRedbullz macrumors regular

zRedbullz

I've decided to keep my 17'' PB for another year and rebuild the superdrive.

To those who have installed Leopard on PPC's recently, how are you finding it? Any faster to compared OS X platforms? Any problems reported yet? Is it worth the money over Tiger?

Thanks

2. Persifleur macrumors member

I have a 15" PB 1.67 that I upgraded to Leopard. Performance-wise there seems to be a slight advantage of Leopard over Tiger, but it's not significant. Time Machine is worth the price of admission though. Once the initial Spotlight indexing and Time Machine backup completed (which made the machine pretty unusable while they were going on), I've had no problems.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've had little to no issues with my 1.67 Powerbook. I'll get a Dashboard crash message upon waking at times. Other than that, I feel like it is running smoothly, and I agree with most in saying that Safari is 'snappier!'

If I didn't have over a year left on my AppleCare I would upgrade my harddrive as well.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I've got an 15" PB 1.67 as well and I've been pretty happy with the upgrade. Can't say I've noticed any great speed improvements, if anything responses are slower and choppier than before. I do only have 512MB of RAM at the moment which I suspect is the reason for this. Hopefully once I increase it those problems will go away.

5. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

That's good then. I'm not too worried about speed, but reliability. Panther was flawless. Tiger was stable but with a few minor crashing problems, especially with Dashboard.

I hope leopard meets my expectations!

6. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

Can someone please clarify my question.

I'm due pick Leopard tomorrow and plan to do an archive & install.

Will an archive & install keep all my apps (iPhoto, pages etc..) photos, documents, icons and all my e-mails?

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I have a 1.5Ghz PowerBook with 1GB of RAM and I actually find that I get fewer beachballs now in Leopard than I did in Tiger. So I would say it is definitely good on a powerbook.

8. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

Excuse my ignorant, what does fewer beachballs mean?

So I presume I will not lose anything and will remain exact when I upgrade to Leopard from Tiger?

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yes! :)

10. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Installed leopard right away on my powerbook 1.33 ghz. I have 1 gb of ram.

It runs as fast if not faster than tiger, with the exception that the 3d dock slow things down. I use the side dock now instead. Spaces increase productivity a lot and time machine is also awesome.

I'm so picky though, I would pay 140 bucks just for the feature of scrolling in windows out of focus. It is my FAVORITE feature. I know....weird.

And it hasn't crashed yet. There are some glitches with the wireless but it seems to have been fixed by the update..

11. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

by beach balls he means the spinning colored pinwheels

12. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

I have a problem here.

Just installed Leopard 2 hrs ago. For some very strange reason, during restart after installation, I've had a blue screen for over 1.5 hrs and it still won't load - the noise sounds as if the machine is struggling.

Is this normal? Should I hold down the power button and do a force-quit?

No spinning wheel or anything. Just a black arrow doing nothing.

13. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Something went wrong, try it again...

14. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

How? The disk won't eject and nor will the computer respond.

Force-quit? I hope I don't lose anything :mad:

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Hold the power button down until it turns off. Then press it again to try to restart.

16. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

Nope - tried that and still no avail. Same old blue screen and is practically dead.

p.s I replaced my superdrive earlier on this morning and worked just fine with Tiger.

17. jameskohn macrumors 6502

blue screen fix

Go to Apple.com support. They've posted a fix for the blue screen issue.

18. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I installed as soon as it was released on my 12" 1.5 and the only problem I have is when you verify permissions you get lots of ACL errors. Other then that a little snapper then 10.4.

I hope you get it fixed since you are now getting the blue screen....:)

19. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

I got it working in the end, thankfully without losing too much.

I had so much trouble with the safe-mode option and couldn't for the life of me understand it. Archive & Install did the job (should have done this route in the first place)

During the upgrade, it turned out to be a corrupted unsanity bundle that screwed Leopard from starting up. Bloody application enhancer. DO NOT DOWNLOAD UNSANITY SOFTWARE!

Phew. I thought it was all over when I saw the blue screen of death - never want to go through that again.

Thanks for the help everyone.

20. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Runs fine on my 1ghz 12" Powerbook with 1.25GB

As long as you have lots of RAM, it runs fine. It's rock solid stable and I'm pleased overall with the upgrade. If the PPC is your only Mac, you're better of dropping the $$ on a new Mac though.

Some observations:

• Things aren't as smooth as in Tiger, i.e. the dock minimizes and maximizes a little choppily, but it's just as responsive. I don't feel it to be faster than Tiger though.
    • Dashboard responds instantly to F12 which is nice. There's was always a lag with Tiger.
    • Spaces is the best feature on this 1024x768 display.
    • Time machine is peace of mind. I already had a decent backup regimen, but this is SO much easier.

21. aussiexc macrumors newbie

More problems with upgrade

I hope this would be a good thread to post this in.

When i upgraded my 12" 1.5ghz Powerbook (768mb ram) to Leopard, everything worked great (minus having to deal with the blue screen :rolleyes:)

But Ive noticed that terminal will not open on my user name, it freezes everytime, even when I choose to reset the preferences. It opens on my other user names though. And in iTunes, whenever i try to delete a song in any way (either the delete key, from the menu bar, or right clicking the song) iTunes freezes and shuts down, but wont delete the song.

Any one got any ideas?