Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy G

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I have a 15" Titanium Powerbook.

When plugged in, very 2-3 hours it tells me that it is running on reserve power, even though the power adaptor is plugged in and live.

I have found that by unplugging it at the mains, then immediately replugging it back in that it then runs normally and charges up, only to need unplugging 2-3 hours later again.

Any ideas?

Andy G

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Try removing the battery from the computer and see what happens? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm clueless, but maybe this will help you figure something and help you get somewhere. Sorry I can't help more. :(

Andy G

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Happy to try anything . . .

What should I look for if I remove the battery? I assume that it may or may not run directly from the mains without the battery in.

I do need to use it 'on the road' from time to time, so need the battery to function, which it seems to do ok at the moment, with about 2 hours working time on one charge.

Does it sound like a mains adaptor issue or a battery issue? It is almost as if by unplugging it resets something which allows the power to flow . . .

Any more thoughts anyone?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Remove the battery and run it for a while to see if you still get the warnings. If you do, then it's not a battery issue but rather a computer or a power adaptor issue. We can work from there.

Just out of interest, is it the adaptor that came with your machine because they come in different specifications and if you're doing heavy work on a low-output adaptor it'll start using the battery which will run it flat eventually. Nevertheless, it'll take much longer than two or three hours.

Andy G

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Yup, it is the adaptor which shipped -

White cigarette packet-sized box with two retractable 'horns' for cable tidy, with slide-in plug.

Andy

comic book guy

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2005
I have a similar problem with my TiPb. After the original power connector broke, i ordered a new one from apple. From time to time it does not provide Voltage to the Pb (it looks like it doesn't) and the indicator led on the plug turns off.

The solution is the same by unplugging it at the mains, then immediately replugging it back in that it then runs normal. But i have the problem only, lets say once a week.

I thougth about contacting the apple customer support but then forgot about it. But since this problem may occur more often i will contact them during the waranty period of the power connector (at least i think i still have waranty).

Andy G

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Sorry - had to rush out for a meeting, then got sidetracked. I have not tried the battery removal test yet, and tomorrow is looking bad for a test at least until afternoon UK time . . .

Watch this space.

Andy G

Andy G

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Still waiting to test - had a client drop in unexpectantly and took up the whole day . . .

Maybe tomorrow . . .

ANdy G

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
have you tried restarting the PRAM? hold down apple-option-P-R when you rebot your laptop. keep holding it down and you will hear the laptop restart itself 4 times (the start up chime will chime 4 times total as it restarts each time). try that if the computer works fine with no battery. resetting the pram, then letting the battery completely die (letting the PB go to sleep after it give you the warning) should solve the problem. if it doesnt then the problem is likely with the battery.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Well for what it is worth my Ti PB has some issues with the original power adapter as well. It will be plugged in, but the light on the adapter will go out sometimes. If i gently move the power adapter where it plugs into the laptop the light turns on and continues to charge. My thoughts are that the power adapter is not seating properly (slight warp-age of the plug or just not pushed in all the way) and that the "jiggle" re-establishes the connection. This may echo why others respond with "if i disconnect the power adapter and then plug it back in it works", so it may just be a connection issue. I hope it is that simple in your case.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The battery-less test really won't take that long. It's a simple matter of shutting the thing down, removing the battery and then starting her back up again. If it works, it means the problem is battery related, if not, it means you have an adaptor issue. :)

It really should be a matter of about a minute's work all up.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Off chance here. My PB 17" 1.33 had a similar problem. The charge light on the battery kept showing as green while the battery kept draining. Turned out to be a bad logic board. Try the battery test when you get a chance. If it is the battery then it's not too big of a deal. If it's not the battery my guess would be the logic board.

Andy G

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Thanks everyone - you would never believe it, but today, after working until 23.30 on a large Illustrator file I hit 'save' and left the machine overnight.

Today, the whole thing was frozen, needing a 73 minute call to Apple Support, zapping the PRAM, resetting the PMU, dipping into 'Terminal' for the first time (scary), and finally doing an 'Archive and Install' of a new system (Tiger)

So far, the battery problem has not showed up, so maybe somewhere in there lay the problem . . . who knows? I'll update the thread if the problem reappears.

Andy

Andy G

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Only problem I now have is that my Logitech wireless keyboard won't let me use the 'Alt' key, doing something wierd with it - the PB keyboard works fine!!!

What the . . . . is going on. Must be a setting somewhere, but I'll be darned if I know where. I can sense another thread coming on!

Andy G

jonat8

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
United Kingdom
I have a similar problem with my 15" PB (not exactly the same though). Every so often the power adaptor just seems to cut out, the green light on the plug goes out and the machine switches to batteries. If I unplug and plug the tip that connects to the computer, nothing happens. But if I pull the adaptor out of the wall outlet and push it back in again, it kicks in again.

It's very unpredictable, sometimes it happens once a day but recently (touch wood) it hasn't happened for a few days. It means I have to keep an eye on it when I'm burning a DVD or something like that, in case the power cuts out and the machine goes to standby because of inactivity. It's annoying but not critical.

I don't think it's my power because it has done the same thing at my house and at 2 different locations.

Anyway, not the same problem but similar. Just thought I'd share...

Andy G

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Actually does sound very similar - when I unplugged the small round power connector which goes into the PB it did not solve the problem. Only by unplugging the 3 pin end into the mains does it work - that seems to me to indicate that it could be a transformer issue in the adaptor, maybe?

However, as mentioned, it now seems to be running ok - that is 12 hours of continual use without a hitch since I ran all the tests, reset the PMU, zapped the PRAM, so maybe worth a go.

Andy G

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.