Powerbook Power light Problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zcamann, Aug 10, 2009.

1. zcamann macrumors newbie

My powerbook G4 has a button thats used to unhinge the LCD screen and flip the computer open. When I flip it open, the light turns on, but it should be off. If I pull the LCD screen forward as if I am going to close the screen, the light turns off as I am pulling the screen forward. As soon as I stop the motion, the power light goes back on. Its very odd.
    This problem started when I updated my OS to 10.5.8 and the light is starting to get annoying.

Any ideas? thanks.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

3. zcamann thread starter macrumors newbie

battery?

I am not aware of this issue. Was I supposed to remove the battery after installing 10.5.8?

Thanks.

4. celticpride678

No. You never have to remove the battery after installing an update.

5. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I meant removing the battery when you open the computer. Like the person above me suggested, try a PRAM rest. That's cmd+option+p+r. Hold it down before the gray screen and until you hear a second startup sound.

7. zcamann thread starter macrumors newbie

still having problems...

I tried the pram reset. I also turned off the computer, removed the battery and put it back in. I also repaired permissions. I'm still having problems with the power light and its almost always shining. Any other ideas?

thanks.

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I don't think you're understanding. Take the battery out, then open the computer, look around, close it up, put the battery back in, then tell us what you find.

9. zcamann thread starter macrumors newbie

Opened it up, and am still having lighting problems. I'm clueless as to what could be going on. I'm thinking about just taking some nail polish and painting over the light.

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Do not paint over the light.

If it really bothers you that much, go to the Genius Bar.

11. zcamann thread starter macrumors newbie

My powerbook is 5 years old and is no longer insured so I don't really want to pay an extra $200 to get this fixed.
    The light is strange now, its not always on, but it will stay on for brief periods of time. I just set a glass of water down on the table, the table shook, and the light turned on for about 5 minutes and then went off. Very weird.