Powerbook Power Screwed Up

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Talgoran, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Talgoran macrumors newbie

Yo, I posted this to the Mac Help forum, but it has 0 responses and one of the fewest views. I figured you guys would be more interested in seeing my problem, though this forum isn't strictly a help one...
    ---
    Hey all, I was hoping you could help me out with this. I have a G4 Powerbook. 15', 1.5 GHz. It had been off for like, at least 3 months, in the corner of a room, until now. I pick it up and plug in the power cable. I installed Mac OS X Leopard on it just fine. Everything was working, except for one thing. The charge percentage never went past 0%, and it told me that it wasn't even charging. Even if I put the mode to best for conserving energy or whatever, no go.
    Now, what I'm about to say is kind of vague, as I don't really get it. But ever since I grabbed my powerbook out of the dust, the power has been messed up. If I force-turned it off, I couldn't just turn it back on. The power button would be like unresponsive. Even if the power cable shows a green or orange light, it wouldn't turn on. At a green light, it wouldn't turn on. I'd have to like, unplug it and let the Powerbook seemingly drain out its power, then plug the cable back in, and turn it on. It was really...sporadic.
    At one time, I closed the lid to put it in sleep mode. When I opened it again, nothing I would press would wake it up. I'd have to force turn it off. Then, it wouldn't turn back on again.
    So I looked it up, and figured I should reset the PMU. I tried, via this. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431 Of course, there was no sound indicator that I had done anything, so I don't think it worked, no matter the method I tried. So I reset the PRAM, which I believe worked, since it like, restarted again as it said it would. But still, no charging.
    I just think the power is really messed up. Is there anything I can do for this? Get a new AC Adapter?
    BTW, at this point, I haven't been able to get the laptop on again.

2. entity macrumors regular

Have you tried taking the battery out and power cycling the PB?

3. Talgoran thread starter macrumors newbie

I hadn't tried that! Well, I just did. Took out battery, held down power button for 5 seconds. Fans went wild, the light on the button you press to open the lid started flashing, it was quite cool. Then it turned on. I figured that was cool. I put in the battery while it was still on, and it turned off. Whatever. But still, when I turn it on...it doesn't charge. And that's only when I can get it on; it's hard.
    But at least this means that I CAN power cycle or whatever, and my computer DOES work without a battery. So does this mean that the battery is dysfunctional? But...my powerbook doesn't always (or ever, perhaps?) turn on without the battery - only the cable. It's so weird.
    Thanks for your help! Any other replies? What should I do?

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Your dead battery is screwing up all the power management systems in the laptop.

Get a new battery. Reset the PRAM, too.

This used to happen on the Titanium Powerbooks, too.

Happened to a friend of mine who could not understand that she needed to cough up the cash for a new battery in order to make the laptop work again.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Open terminal and type:
    Code:
    ioreg -l -w0 | grep Capacity
    (i think, im not at my mac now)

This will show the status of the battery

6. Talgoran thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks for the help guys. Now, I can't even get my laptop to turn on. I guess I've been screwing around with it too much. Even without the battery.
    I'll take it to the apple store, get a new battery, and reset the PRAM then. Thanks a lot!

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you're going to the applestore anyway, you might as well make a genius bar appointment to ensure it is just the battery.