Powerbook questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rocky3478, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

    Mar 7, 2005
    Does a 12" or 15" Powerbook with these specs have enough power to process 6Mb RAW images and 80-200Mb TIF images as fast as the PC in my sig??

    1.5 Ghz
    1 -2 Gb RAM
    OS X 10.4.2

    Thanks for any help, trying to get rid of this PC for a Powerbook + 20" Cinema.... :D Just trying to figure out which one to get...... :cool:

    Also, Is this a good external hard drive, or would a Maxtor or LaCie be better?

    And, does anyone know of a way (legal, please) to acquire PS CS2 for less then $290 (edu discount from Adobe)

    And, how much RAM would you recommend? I'd be using it for web browsing, docs, iTunes, and some fairly heavy PS work (see above for how heavy).

    Lastly, is there any good soccer game for a Mac?? (I don't mind if there isn't, just wondering.....)
  2. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a


    Jan 9, 2005
    At the Airport. UK
    those amounts of ram will certainly help. my powerbook is very good with photoshop and things, and i think it should be able to handle raw images. i personally have no experience with raw images, but the powerbooks are very capable machines. basically, the rule is : higer ram = better performance....thats where the performance improvement comes from. also, up the video ram if you go for the model that allows it, also a big help with rendering large images.


    wait for the opinions of others who have actually handled them first though.

    edit: sorry for the lack of sense in this post, i am extremely tired...:D
  3. wrxguy macrumors 6502a


    Jul 4, 2005
    Deepest Regions of Hell
    I have a 15" PB w/ 2gigs of ram and the1.67 processor and i use PS CS2 all the time and it works perfectly...I also use FCP and some KORG processing software and my PB handles it all fine...I would recomend an external HD of atleast 250 gigs if you are doing alot of PS or FC ....
  4. Rocky3478 thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 7, 2005
    Well, I think I'll be going with the 15" 1.5 Ghz PB and 1.5 Gb of RAM w/ 20" ACD for the time being. Went to Frys and can't stand the lower resolution of the 12" PB on photos. I'll up it later to 2 Gb. I'll also get a 250Gb FW drive....

    Thanks all. I'll let you all know what happens. Now I know what I want, it's just a matter of financing it.....
  5. G5Unit macrumors 68020


    Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    Yeh your powerbook should do ok. Ram is most important.
  6. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I'd go for the 15" 1.67 GHz model if there are no updates this week.
    If Apple drops prices, you should go for the fastest
    processor you can afford.

    I sure hope you are going 3rd party RAM adding that
    extra GB!

    For the price Apple charges for that extra RAM
    you could get the faster processor and really, you should get the 128 MB VRAM update while you're at it because you CAN NOT update your VRAM later.
  7. Euan macrumors regular

    Sep 1, 2005
    Agree. I'd be happy if Apple just dropped the PB prices with no updates :D

Share This Page