Powerbook questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by badabing, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. badabing macrumors newbie

    Jan 6, 2004
    Ok, so after a lifetime in MS-DOS and Windows I am planning to move onto the Apple platform because I am going to rip my hair out if I need to keep updating Windows patches, virus definitions and firewall patches.

    I want a powerbook, with superdrive, airport and backlit keyboard. I am looking at the 15" models, but can't decide if I want the 1 or 1.25 Ghz model. With the 1.25 I can downgrade to the 60gig hard drive, but I can't downgrade the Ram (I do want 512, but not at the price Apple charges!). Is there a noticeable difference between the extra 250 Mhz? Anybody have performance figures?

    Also, does the powerbooks come with the new iLife? I don't see Garageband in the included software.

    And my last question ... I know it has an S video output, but what output could I use to send the audio to my tv? That way I can play movies on my laptop but watch it on the tv.

    Thanks for reading this far. If you have any answers they'd be much appreciated.
  2. bubbamac macrumors 6502

    Dec 24, 2003
  3. latergator116 macrumors 68000


    Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Just one thing to note. If you do decide to get the 1ghz model, you have to special order it from the online apple store to get the backlit keyboard. Id say go with the 1.25ghz though.
  4. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

    May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    Re: Powerbook questions

    Awesome, that's why I got a Powerbook... and its such an easy 'switch'

    I don't have any solid performance figures available right here at the moment. Personally I don't think there is much difference between the 1 and 1.25. However, if you are spending all the money I'd say go for the 25% increase. As for RAM I recommend getting the single 512 piece (I think its $100 extra) and then with the free slot get another 512 piece at your leisure.

    As of today Apple provides an up-to-date program for $20 to get the new iLife from what I saw on the website. If you wait a few more weeks I imagine it will come preinstalled.

    You use a Y adapter which splits the headphone jack into two seperate channels (white and red RCAs) which you then connect to the television. The adapter is like $3 at WalMart. No biggie..

    Good Luck!
  5. fradac macrumors regular

    Oct 24, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    should i get it?

    I was eagerly waiting for Mac World in hopes that there might be some update, even if minimal, for the powerbook.

    i am a student and have my eyes and heart set on a 1.25 15in. as today there were no updates annouced, i an torn wether i should order my powerbook in this week or wait.

    anyone has any idea if there will be any undates soon and if i should wait. also if i decide to go ahead and get it, how soon should i wait till i know for sure that i would get iLife 4.


    P.S. this will be my first Mac Purchase, i have been long time user and will be first time owner now.
  6. badabing thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 6, 2004
    Thanks for the info!

    fradac, I'm in the same situation as you.
    As was hoping for either two announcements today, a price drop, or a g5 powerbook (wishfull thinking).
    Seeing that neither of the two happened, I don't expect a pricedrop for at very least several months.

    Its not worth the time to wait anymore imo.
  7. thatoneguy macrumors newbie

    Jan 2, 2004
    Badabing is absolutely right. Don't waste anymore time deciding on what to purchase. I know most everyone wanted to see the likes of a Powerbook G5 (get real, not happening for another year IMO) or a revision to the current AlBooks during Steve Jobs Keynote (more likely), but why? Seriously, why would anyone want a first generation Powerbook G5 (which I believe would be the first 64-bit laptop in the market) to come out as soon as possible, when history has shown that a lot of flaws have been exposed by rush buyers due to rushed engineering. Apple is smart enough to know that yes, they want to be the first to reach this milestone (if it exists, someone can verify this), but at what cost? More aggrevation for both parties? Humilation on Apple's part? The Wintel boys will have a field day with that one!

    Look at the protests (better yet, pending lawsuits) with the iPod and iBook (batteries, and Logic Boards), or even better, the AlBook Powerbook 15" that was first released in September of 03 (Whitespots, Latches). Granted, rush buyers will always exist and the market deems this as inevitable (and important, otherwise sales would be non-existent!). A lot of people will wait in line to buy the new toy that just came out, yet at the same time also invest in the risk of being in another line returning the product for repairs. All I'm trying to say is, go with what you think is best for you. I'm sure you'll find that the current line of PB's (as you probably know by now) are remarkable machines. I'm a Windows user and have been for over (counting fingers.. hold on) 12 years? Purely MS-DOS prior to that (1986-1992ish) and now I'm on the bandwagon looking to switch. I've been doing a lot of research and have been looking at boards left, right, up and down and if I could give an assesment on how well these machines are from the comments by current users, I'd have to give two thumbs up (and an Ehhhhhh like the Fonz). It's a good investment, but like everything else, whatever you buy you should always buy with confidence that the product you're getting is top-grade, and to be honest with you, Apple is a one-of-kind company (haha, I think they're the only company Krikor! (hits forehead), you folks know what I mean! Just look at the Fonz comment and keep reading). Therefore, ask yourself these two questions before buying anything over a 100 dollars (that is, if you consider a 100 dollars a lot of money. I do :) ):

    1) Should I wait for the upgrade, and if I do, do I buy it immediately when it comes out or wait for a revision where it's also possible that another upgrade could come out within... Forget that! You'll run in circles. Just buy what you think is best and go from their.

    2) If you buy the current model, don't feel guilty that an upgrade is just around the corner. Technology is always growing and sometimes you just can't have all your apples (no pun intended) in one basket.

    Finally, in the case of the PB G5, my assumption (even though it's never worth anything) is that if you're going to wait and don't want the current G4 lines, I would recommend waiting until six months after it's been introduced. Otherwise you could be one of two statistics: the percentage that have an excellent machine with no complaints, or the percentage that spends most of their time trying to fix it.

    Good Luck
    Sorry about the long post, I just felt like typing.
  8. Westside guy macrumors 603

    Westside guy

    Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Good advice. It very well may be a while before the G5 makes it into the Powerbook. I know IBM has gone to the 90nm process, but I noticed Steve was talking about the heat management inside these new Xserves (and it's not like noise is an issue for something targeted to go in your server room).

Share This Page