Powerbook RAM upgrade, 512Mb/1Gb

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
Hello peeps

Just ordered a 15in 1.67Ghz powerbook (Ati 128Mb, combo) *W00T* etc.
And i'm currently looking at ram prices,

On crucial they have a 512Mb stick for £41, and the 1Gb stick for £123
Question is, is the 1Gb worth the extra?...

I'll be using the Powerbook for the normal stuff (iLife, browsing etc.), most likely keeping 5 or 6 apps open at a time, i currently do this on my 800Mhz imac with 512Mb total and it's OK, but not great.

Also, i plan on some games, Warcraft3, UT2004, MOHAA and games of similar requirements

With any luck i'll get away with a similer upgrade path to my faithful old 300Mhz ibook, eg. buy, add lots of ram (160Mb in the ibooks case :D) and have it last a good few years, a nice 5 years to match my ibook would be great, lol

Thanks for any suggestions :)

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
go with 1gb. you can never have too much ram and giving it a lot now will keep you going a long time with no more $ invested.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
OK, maybe i should add,

After emptying my wallet, and random coin stashes around the house i may just be able to afford the 1Gb stick :rolleyes:

I wont be ordering until Sunday or Monday, so something may come up between now and then meaning i can get the 1Gb no worries, but right now it's right on the edge of what i can afford :eek:

Having said that, the 1Gb stick it very much my preferred solution :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
beige matchbox said:
On crucial they have a 512Mb stick for £41, and the 1Gb stick for £123
The GB was only £85 last week. Have a look on kelkoo or pricerunner for the Crucial part number. Check out Kingston's part number too and run that through too - you may find better deals out there. Kingston's RAM is lifetime guaranteed.