PowerBook screen is on drugs!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by matthemercyless, Apr 5, 2010.

1. matthemercyless macrumors member

Hey everyone,

For some time now, my old :apple:PowerBook has been displaying weird artifacts all over the screen.

I've attached images to help show the problem. It gets worse when looking at pictures and watching any movies, rendering my laptop almost useless.:(

Anyone know what might be causing it and if theres a fix for it?

Luckily I've been saving up for a MacBook Pro, so I shouldn't have to put up with it for much longer. Anyone know when the new MBPs are coming out *ducks for cover* :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

looks like a bad video card to me.

screen usually does not fail like that,

good luck

3. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

If it weren't a PowerBook, this would be an open-and-shut case of the failing 8600MT card. Still, the symptoms you show and describe (worse when the graphics card is under load) do imply a faulty graphics card and/or logic board. The thing is probably toast :(

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

if the problem shows up on the screenshot, it can't be the screen itself which is the problem, ergo very very liekyl to be whatever is processing the graphics.

5. MacTech68, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

6. matthemercyless thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

I was hoping to sell it to pay for upgrades on my MBP, but I think it will be almost completely worthless now.

The 3rd party battery last barely an hour, the screen latch is broken so it doesnt close or go to sleep, the wrist pad is very loose and very scratched and the power adapter is cracked.Might have to break this puppy up and sell it in pieces.

7. FnuGk macrumors regular

looks like the screen is broken. you know the picture on the screen is made up for red, blue and green the blue colour that covers the entire screen indicades that the blue is "always on"

my mom had this on her (very) old laptop 5 or 6 years ago with the green always beeing on after some one accidently sat on it. sounds stupid but its true :p

edit:
    after reading the thread i must agree that if those are screenshots the discoloring should not be there if it is only the screen. Try connecting an external monitor and see if the problem still are there

8. matthemercyless thread starter macrumors member

I hooked it up to my HDTV and it outputs the artifacts to the TV, so it must be the graphics card.

Think I've found a buyer for the spare parts though, so now just need to wait for the new MBP.

9. kaiserben macrumors member

kaiserben

Your GPU is screwed up. It will be worse and worse.