Powerbook software on mirror door desktop

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wayneg4, Jul 19, 2008.

1. wayneg4 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new here. I am interested in buying a MDD G4 on ebay with no OS and hade a question. I have a Powerbook G4 Titanium I bought new, and I was wondering if the software cd's could work on the MDD?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Nope, those CD's are locked to specific models. They may work on other similar Powerbooks but most likely will not work on anything else.

For Mac OS you will either need to by a retail copy, used copy, or discs that came with your model of G4. You might be able to get a copy cheap from Apple of the discs that originally came with that G4, just say you lost them.

Before anyone replies of that being dishonest. Every Mac sold is specifically licensed by Apple for the software versions that it came with. If the copy is lost but the hardware is owned I see no problem with trying to get it back for free or next to nothing. As long as it is the versions that computer is licensed for. Given that I would probably just download the versions my hardware is licensed for. Just like for a PC that came with a license for Windows (enter version) OEM I but not the reinstall CD I would consider it fine to download the same OEM version that I purchased and am licensed for.

3. wayneg4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. So I guess I will find a G4 with the software.