Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thickcmhs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
I have a 15" Powerbook G4 and recently my internal speakers have been acting weird. Randomly my speakers will stop working and constantly put out a fuzzing noise that sounds like a t.v. that is on a blank channel. This happens either right when I turn on my Powerbook or later while I am using it. i don't even have to be using an application that invovles sound for it to happen. Also, if I mute the sound on the Powerbook it does not go away. The only thing that works is to plug headphones into it and then mute the sound. However, when this is not happening, the speakers work perfectly. I have tried messing with the sound controls and even re-installing mac osx tiger on the powerbook but it still has the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to fix this? Also, is it a problem with the speakers or something else?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
When you plug in headphones, does this funny sound come out the headphones too, or is it limited to the speakers?

thickcmhs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
No the sound works fine when I plug in the headphones or external speakers. :) :) :) :) :)

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
If you're under warranty, take it in to be repaired. I suppose take it in either way, actually... I just hope you're under warranty :).

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
If it were the built-in sound card chip, I think the distortion would come through the headphones too. Could be static interference from another component close to one of the speakers. Which model of PowerBook is it?

thickcmhs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
I have the Powerbook 5,8 model. I'm under the 3 year protection plan so I think I will call Apple today and send it in. Thanks. :)

Togglehead

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Jersey
whats first in line in the audio path? The speakers, or the headphone jack?

possible bad connection btw cound card and speakers.....but if the headphone jack is after the speakers...then im lost....

Warrenty = good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.