PowerBook SSD handbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ptdebate, Jul 19, 2014.

1. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

My perception is that there is a lack of quality, consistent information out there about using SSDs in legacy Mac laptops. I was hoping that those of us who use SSDs in our PowerPC laptops (iBook, PowerBook) could concisely document our experiences in this thread for the benefit of MR readers and the internet at large. Please state the following in your replies!

A) Enough information to clearly identify the model you use (e.g. Powerbook G4 Titanium 1Ghz or Powerbook G4 Aluminum 12" 1.5GHz)

B) The SSD you used (e.g. Kingspec IDE 128GB or OWC Legacy Pro IDE 64GB), including any associated hardware such as an mSATA to ATA converter

C) The outcome (how well the drive performed, how much of a hassle it was to get working, drive longevity, etc.)

My drive hasn't come in the mail yet but I'll update this post when I get it installed!

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Good idea.

A.) PowerBook G4 12" 1.5 GHz, with 1.25 GB RAM (PowerBook6,8)

B.) Transcend PSD330 32 GB PATA

C.) The included jumper won't fit with the PowerBook's connector. The install CD (OpenBSD 5.5) found it anyway and the install went as normal, but I had to do some tricks in Open Firmware to get the drive to boot. The problem was that the drive was not the master drive without the jumper, so typing "mac-boot" at the OFW prompt led to it searching for a disk that wasn't there. I don't know if any of this is applicable to OS X, but I can dig up the OFW commands I ran if someone is interested.

Overall, the system is quicker than before but not significantly so. Booting is the most noticeable improvement. Firefox launches faster, Gimp launches faster, and archive extraction is much faster. Battery life improved by 10 minutes, hard drive temps dropped by 1-2 C. It's much quieter than before as well.

Would I do it again? Yes, but performance wasn't my main concern. I wanted a reliable drive and wasn't sure how much longer the 9 year old HDD would last. I didn't need lots of space, so the 32 GB limitation is not a problem.

3. sarthak macrumors 6502

A) PowerBook G4 12" - 1.5GHz | 100GB HDD | See link in sig for specs.

B) I've got a spare OCZ 120GB Agility 4 SATA.

C) Untested. Has anyone tried to fit a SATA 2.5" SSD in a PB G4 12"? Curious to see if there is enough space to fit in the drive and a SATA-IDE adapter. I could always sell it but that would only fund a 60-64GB dedicated IDE SSD.

Even then I am not sure there will be much of a difference for a drive that costs more than the computer itself!

4. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

I've heard of someone accomplishing this successfully with a 15" aluminum model although it caused some damage to the case in the long run.

5. sarthak macrumors 6502

Given that sort of a risk. I'd be tempted to sell off this spare drive to fund a dedicated IDE drive.

Anyone have experience with the "IDE SSD" on eBay? They're from China and rage around $50-60 for a 64GB drive.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

MOD NOTE

Please keep things civl and on-topic moving forward.

7. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

Regardless of configuration installing an SSD will improve the perceived performance of these old systems. As such anyone using one of these systems is well advised to install one.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Has anyone tested replacing their ODD with an IDE to SATA ODD caddy? I ask because it seems that would be the cheapest and best route to go since you could put a 2.5" SSD in there with no problems.

9. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Wow, reassembly was terrifying

SO--having installed the SSD, returning the back cover onto the TiBook was one of the most trying experiences of my life. It is incredibly difficult. The most difficult computer repair I have ever attempted. It was even more difficult that disassembling a Sony PSP, installing a new LCD, and reassembling it.

I would implore anyone attempting to replace the harddrive in a TiBook to consider replacing the computer outright (with an AluBook) because the stress isn't worth it.

That being said, the thing is back together and Jaguar is installing via the restore disk. I'll report later on my results.

10. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

What. I've taken the back cover off of a TiBook easily and quickly.

11. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Taking the cover off was easy. putting it back on was very difficult and took 3 hours.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Putting the cover back on a TiBook is hard? It's extremely easy. What part of it did you get stuck on?

I think most of the optical drives in Powerbooks and iBooks are ATA/33 or ATA/66. A few on the later models may be shared with the hard drive's ATA/100 bus.

13. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

The top-right corner would not re-align properly. I couldn't get down the proper technique to make sure that all of the teeth sunk back into their respective slots. is it forward at a 30 degree angle? down and forward at an incline? flat with downward pressure towards the rear of the computer?

Every time I secured the cover, the top-right corner would pop back up, and even the strength of Hercules would not have rectified it.

I finally got the cover back on, but now the front-left corner is buckling. God help me...

14. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

Hmmm...I think I've heard something similar before. If only I could recall where.

15. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Yeah, you weren't talking about the difficulty of replacing the hard drive in general though, just the cost of an SSD specifically.

Anyway, the system is up and running now--better than ever. The SSD was dirt cheap too--only $36.99 for 80GB--so no complaints on that front. I probably just suck at taking apart computers.

16. stridemat, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014

stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

MOD NOTE

Thread closed for review again.

The thread has been reopened, Please stay on topic

17. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Where'd you buy it?? I bought mine for $44, which was a decent deal I thought. Most 32 GB SSDs go for $50+ on eBay in what I've seen.

18. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I was going to mention the limitations, too. I remember you told a good way to find out what controller one has (by a terminal comand?), in another thread. Could you perhaps post that again, please? (Thanks in advance :) )

On the thread-titel. Since I have done this on an ibook and not a PowerBook, I won't comment. ;)

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I recall what you're talking about. I also recall discovering that it was an inaccurate way of checking the controller's speed. As of now, I don't know an accurate way besides looking at the device's properties in OpenFirmware.

20. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

21. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I don't know how to do it in OS X, but I ran dmesg and it's claiming ATAPI 5 in my 12" PowerBook 1.5 GHz (M9691LL/A).

22. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

I did search a bit and found your post. Thanks again!
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18462710&postcount=14

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

24. weckart macrumors 68040