Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
so wanted to share the great news with you all. My powerbook was stolen this morning from my office desk. Someone walked in and just took it from my desk.

Camera surveillance shows the thief entering and leaving with my bag.

Keep an eye on your things guys. Nothing is safe.

AppleCare doesn't cover theft, does it?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ah damn, sorry to hear that. Did you have a recent backup?

A couple laptops went missing in our office last year - a coworker had his 500 MHz TiPB stolen and then replaced with a 867MHz version (bigger screen too). I was sort of hoping mine would be next ;)

So what are your chances of getting the PB back?

D

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
about getting mine back.. the chances are slim to none i'd say. I mean the guy is unidentified. I have to call the serial number in to the police to add to the report. We do have the thief on tape, but that is of no use unless i see him in the streets.

The only good thing is that, as you say, it might be able to get replaced. BUT since it was my personal powerbook and not the company powerbook it's gonna be a little trickier. Apparently the insurance deductible is $5000 so it wouldnt really cover it.

Only time will tell. Thanks for the support :(

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-sphereboy

I'm incredibly sorry to hear that!

On the tape, did it look like the theif walked in and stole your PB as a target of opportunity? -Or did he just walk in and take it - seemingly knowing what it was?

If the latter, I'd say he's cased it ahead of time, and you might know him.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i also recommend getting macphonehome on your machine. for the average person, they may not think to format the computer. the software isnt that expensive so its a good investment. it will send "you" the ip number of your computer when it gets online next. also a good lockdown cable is good to use.

iJon

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
My worst nightmare for a while was having something happen to my TiBook, since it was my only machine. I didn't even have a backup hard drive for a good while.

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I cannot believe it happened at your office! :mad:

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by iJon
i also recommend getting macphonehome on your machine. for the average person, they may not think to format the computer. the software isnt that expensive so its a good investment. it will send "you" the ip number of your computer when it gets online next. also a good lockdown cable is good to use.

iJon

I am sorry to hear about your loss, but this has gotten me thinking about protecting my laptop. How effective are these programs? Do they give any numbers on recoveries? Probably wouldn't hurt to put some kind of program like that on my laptop. Or something of my own design....

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
15" PowerBook: $2799
Microsaver: $39.99
PowerBook gets stolen for being a cheap ass: Priceless

What are you people sorry about anyway? He could've prevented it from happening if he dropped $40 for a microsaver and locked up the PB. But for whatever reason, he decided not to. Consequences...

tazo

macrumors 68040
Although I agree with you a bit (last poster) I think that criticizing an action that is not entirely one person's fault is awfully critical. Thats like blaming a person for having their car carjacked..."hey man well you should have been carrying a guy..." :eek:

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
15" PowerBook: $2799
Microsaver: $39.99
PowerBook gets stolen for being a cheap ass: Priceless

What are you people sorry about anyway? He could've prevented it from happening if he dropped $40 for a microsaver and locked up the PB. But for whatever reason, he decided not to. Consequences...

that's seems a bit mean. it wasn't his fault. i feel so sorry for him. i really hope you find the person, and get it back. ot have your company pay for it!

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
some people

what the hell do you mean, "sorry for" we're sorry for him that this society (you apparently included) is so screwed up, that this HIS powerbook was taken from HIS desk in HIS place of work, and that people like you think that we shouldn't feel sorry for him because he didn't buy some security feature, when he shouldn't need to. that's so f*@&ed up man it makes me furious!! thats like saying you shouldn't feel sorry for all the women who get raped because they don't have an iron maiden on their vagina, or that people who get shot should have bought a bullet proof vest, oh no those stupid people, we shouldn't feel for them at all even though..... jesus christ people like you really gripe my ass...:mad:

sorry for the rant that just hit me wrong is all...

technocoy

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
thanks guys. i was just going to keep quiet cause people like FuzzyBalls have no self respect..so they cannot respect others.

I appreciate your kind comments, and this is the reason why I always visit this forum. You all are very friendly and very helpful..

I have no reason to post this type of discussion only for the sole reason of informing others to be careful out there. Yes, i did make a mistake.. but when you work somewhere for 4 years..and you do the same routine day in and day out.. you tend to have a level of comfort to your place of work. We have cameras, we have security guards, we have alarms.. yet the thief managed to get away with burglary. Did he know what kind of laptop was in my bag? No. Did he know what was in the bag, probably not. Thieves are thieves..and it seems to me that FuzzyNutz is a thief as well. I send him my thoughts.. and hopefully he won't get screwed anytime soon.. cause you know.. if you don't believe in karma.. its out there.. and you my friend are in a for a big surprise! ...

thanks again fella's... you guys rock!..

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Re: some people

Originally posted by technocoy
what the hell do you mean, "sorry for" we're sorry for him that this society (you apparently included) is so screwed up, that this HIS powerbook was taken from HIS desk in HIS place of work, and that people like you think that we shouldn't feel sorry for him because he didn't buy some security feature, when he shouldn't need to. that's so f*@&ed up man it makes me furious!! thats like saying you shouldn't feel sorry for all the women who get raped because they don't have an iron maiden on their vagina, or that people who get shot should have bought a bullet proof vest, oh no those stupid people, we shouldn't feel for them at all even though..... jesus christ people like you really gripe my ass...:mad:

sorry for the rant that just hit me wrong is all...

technocoy

i completely agree. this society is messed up, but we can't do anything about it but protect ourselves when we can.:(

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Originally posted by tazo
you deserve to make an apology to FuzzyBalls for that one sphereboy; that is uncalled for and extremely rude. People do not need to come to a website for recreational reasons to be harassed.
Why should he make an apology? The guy's had his laptop nicked and all someone can say is 'hah stupid! Should have bought a microsaver!'. Yeah perhaps he should've but the guys got no laptop now and if I were him I'd be pretty pissed.

I don't even know what a 'microsaver' is. All I know is if someone stole my laptop they'd need new bollocks if I caught them.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i'm sorry, but no one locks up their laptops around out office-- shouldn't have to. it's an office for christsakes, not a streetcorner, there's a reasonable expectation of security. i do not blame him on this one...

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.