Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Like the title says my powerbook no more makes the Dooong sound at start up or restart. I tried repairing permissions and looked into the system preferences/sound. Everything was like it should be. Sound is turned on and I have no additional speakers connected. The internal speakers are ok because I can hear other system sounds/music etc. It's not like the Doong would be extremely important, everything else runs fine. I just have a little time right now so I thought I'll ask the experts. ;)

Edit: I'm running 10.4.3, other specs of the pb see sig.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
chaosbunny said:
Thanks for your reply, tried it but unfortunately still no Doong. Maybe it will return by itself, sometimes funny things happen with computers.

I've found that if I have the machine volume low, the chime is almost un-noticable, although the system beep and regular feedback sounds from the OS are still reasonably clear. The chime does seem to be recorded at a markedly lower volume than the rest of the system sounds, at least on my iBook.

I first noticed this after using headphones - the volume at 2/3 was ear-splitting, and so I turned the volume down using the keys on the keypad. After this, once the headphones were unplugged again, the chime was virtually non-existent, bit the sys sounds were still discernable.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
iSaint said:
Stand over your laptop, clap your hands twice, and say "Dooonng! Wake up Dong!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. It was on TV the other day.
16 candles, awesome.

"Where is my--- VEHICLE???"

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
iSaint said:
Stand over your laptop, clap your hands twice, and say "Dooonng! Wake up Dong!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. It was on TV the other day.

Awesome! I tried it and I really was able to hear a Doong sound. It just didn't come from my computer but from a hole right under my nose. Strange thing this modern electronic world
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.