Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaiserbuch1701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Germany
Helle Everybody,
recently i got hands on this two beauties for 130 Euros...

IMG_5631.jpg
IMG_5632.jpg

Powerbook G4 17" 1.5 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM
Powerbook G4 12" 1.0 Ghz 1.25 GB RAM

There was and is a few to do, with this little G4s.
The 17" was the easy one. Battery is down (need to find a new one :-( ). The DVD Drive doesnt read DL DVD (like the Leopard Install DVD) - bought an new DL Drive from Ebay for only 2,50 € and built it in. The Stock 80GB HDD was upgradet to 160GB (floating around my flat!)

So, the 12" needs more work. DVD was dead, Battery also, 40GB was very loud, high temperature of the CPU, but the most and annyoing Problem is the fan. I hope anybody has an Idea???

DVD change (from the 17" without DL-support) - check
Harddrive Change (80GB from 17") - check (i will get another 160GB from a friend soon :p )
Repaste the CPU with MX4 and new 2mm Thermal Pads for GPU and Chipset - check

When the Powerbook is closed and the fans begins to run, there a so high fregquency noise - this makes me crazy, but
if the keyboard and the Bazel? (is it the right word?) underneath is not tightened, the fan runs normal without the high frequency noise at higher temperatures. i thought maybe theres something in the way like Tape of the opposite site, but i cant see anything... i had the idee, to leave some screws away and then check it / figure it out step by step!? Or i done something wrong in reassambeling or missed something by doing this? I testet the Fan with G4 Fan Controll...

Maybe someone of you guys have an Idea. Thx all for your help.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Helle Everybody,
recently i got hands on this two beauties for 130 Euros...

View attachment 864216 View attachment 864217

Powerbook G4 17" 1.5 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM
Powerbook G4 12" 1.0 Ghz 1.25 GB RAM

There was and is a few to do, with this little G4s.
The 17" was the easy one. Battery is down (need to find a new one :-( ). The DVD Drive doesnt read DL DVD (like the Leopard Install DVD) - bought an new DL Drive from Ebay for only 2,50 € and built it in. The Stock 80GB HDD was upgradet to 160GB (floating around my flat!)

So, the 12" needs more work. DVD was dead, Battery also, 40GB was very loud, high temperature of the CPU, but the most and annyoing Problem is the fan. I hope anybody has an Idea???

DVD change (from the 17" without DL-support) - check
Harddrive Change (80GB from 17") - check (i will get another 160GB from a friend soon :p )
Repaste the CPU with MX4 and new 2mm Thermal Pads for GPU and Chipset - check

When the Powerbook is closed and the fans begins to run, there a so high fregquency noise - this makes me crazy, but
if the keyboard and the Bazel? (is it the right word?) underneath is not tightened, the fan runs normal without the high frequency noise at higher temperatures. i thought maybe theres something in the way like Tape of the opposite site, but i cant see anything... i had the idee, to leave some screws away and then check it / figure it out step by step!? Or i done something wrong in reassambeling or missed something by doing this? I testet the Fan with G4 Fan Controll...

Maybe someone of you guys have an Idea. Thx all for your help.

On my 1.5GHz 12"PB-G4 fans got beserk after I swapped the HDD for an mSATA/Converter-combo.
Factory setting for the drives temperature sensor threshold was set to about 45°C and the mSATA-combo ran at 60° so fans were constantly on. Setting temperature-thresholds for drive/GPU/CPU at about 65°C (using G4FanControl too) causes a temperature steady state with now fan-activity at all. I use a iLap-stand for better cooling-effect from the bottom side - and that is mandatory to, if you should ever want to place the machine onto your lap!
High pitched fan noises might be related to pressure onto the fans (especially if you happen to notice a change after realeasing some screws ...).
Maybe after reassambling the machine (logicboard etc) there's a little part jammed and the logicboard/fans don't fit in tight or the aluminium case is bent or the fans need some lubricant ...
Good luck!

Kaiserbuch1701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Germany
Thx @bobesch ... i will try it again, when i got the second 160 Gig Drive...
I hope it will fixible and if not, i will set the paramenters in G4 Fan Controll as you recommended !

recently i saw, that the preowner damaged the Shift Key... so, i have a lot to do with the 12" ...
New Keyboards are quite expensive, maybee i find a cheap Powerbook Keyboard to solve this "little" Problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.