powerbook that has been through the wars - flickering bleached screen

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rfield, Jul 29, 2008.

1. rfield macrumors newbie

I have a severely dented 15' G4 that has suddenly developed an all-over screen flicker together with an bleached effect that sometimes makes it impossible to read. The screen itself has for a year or two now been held together with brackets of folded sheet-brass (they clamp like giant binder clips), because both side supports have broken near the hinge. (I've attached a photo of the brackets and the bleached screen, as well as a photo of one of the damaged side supports.) This new surprise is probably due to the laptop's having recently been transported in the same bag as a leaky water bottle. I turned the computer off and let it dry out overnight as soon as the screen started flickering, but I appear to be left with a permanent bleached screen (can't see yellows at all, black appears as light gray) and occasionally (thankfully temporarily) a super-bleached effect where only very thick black writing is legible. I am certain that this is my fault (either from dropping it too many times or from water damage or a combination of the two) but I'm wondering what exactly my options are for possible solutions. Replacing the LCD would be expensive, but a new computer even more so. Any advice (other than 'don't drop your computer') would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Jabberwocky246 macrumors member

It's a pretty safe bet that your most recent issues are due to water damage to the logic board. If you do a search, you will find dozens, if not hundreds of related posts.

You did not let it dry out long enough and it may already be too late for it. Turn it off for at least another two or three days, preferably near someplace warm so it can dry gently (on top of a refrigerator works). Leave it partly open laying upside-down so the water can drain.

The Bad: You are looking at a complete logic board replacement.
    The Good: You can do this yourself if you have any mechanical ability at all. Just to go www.ifixit.com and look up the Guide for your particular computer, then choose logic board replacement.

You can typically find used logic boards for a reasonable price on eBay. I'm sure your computer is out of warranty, but even if it wasn't, Apple would not cover damage like your computer has suffered (what has the poor thing done to deserve that kind of treatment anyway?)

Personally, I recommend you part the thing out for whatever you can get and buy another computer. This one is far beyond being fixed for a reasonable price.

Good luck.