Powerbook Titanium Screws

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AmestrisXServe, Feb 19, 2014.

1. AmestrisXServe, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

Does anyone recall if the TiBook uses 2.5mm or 3mm screws; or if it uses both?

I am about to place an order for bulk screws, as I have a heap of these that are missing some, and could use the reference, as I don't have the originals to measure with a calliper.

The service source book only specifies length, not gauge.

If anyone had a ref sheet that lists the screw sizes (not only length) for every screw, that would be very useful.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No idea. But that Ti400 I mentioned earlier has been in pieces in my garage for the last two years (logicboard died). I can scoop up all the screws and send them to you. Don't know if it'd be all of them or not. And if you need other parts, let me know. With the exception of the LCD/hinges (swapped for the broken ones in my son's Titanium DVI), Combo drive (sent to someone else) and the dead logicboard I have most of the parts.

Couldn't ship until Monday though so if that's a problem (or you don't want anything) let me know.

3. AmestrisXServe thread starter macrumors 6502

I would appreciate it, as it would give me a reference. I would still need to order a bulk pack of each type soon, as I have nine systems to put together.

The main screws that I'm missing are the HDD bracket screws, and the bottom case screws, so if you have a pair of callipers and can measure them, all I would need are the measurements.

Naturally, the Apple Service Source reference only lists the length and part numbers, to force ordering factory parts.

If you want to post them to me, send me a PM, and I will send you an address.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, no, I don't have any calipers, but I can send you what you need. I'll send you a PM.

5. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

From my repair memory, the TiBook case uses 2.5mm screws. The HDD caddy screws were definitely larger but can't confirm if 3mm.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I did take a look at the parts section of iFixit. If you select the correct Titanium PowerBook, they have a screw set for both the display assembly and the rest of the computer. Order quickly though, they seem to have low stock. The Mercury PowerBook is out of stock, but the Onyx and DVI models are all in stock right now.

7. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/powerbook/pbg4_dvi.pdf

Search for "screw reference sheet" to jump to the relevant page...

edit:
    Sorry, just re-read where you were looking for the gauge. I believe they use both 2.5 & 3mm.

Are you looking for specific screws (bottom case?) or just in general?

8. AmestrisXServe thread starter macrumors 6502

What I need, is the gauge of the bottom case screws, and the HDD bracket retainer screw.

I wouldn't mind a refsheet for all the gauges, as I can guess at 2.5mm and 3mm, as I did in my OP easily enough. I can't recall if the case screws are 2.5mm, or 3mm, and at what pitch, and there is no documentation on that subject that I can locate.

I have every Service Source manual from the Apple II through to the recent Mac Pro units. Thus, I first looked through several service manuals, before I asked, and as I said, Apple don't list gauges or pitch, as they always want you to buy screws from them.

9. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I don't have a caliper handy but next to my ruler it looks like the bottom case screws are 2mm. I'm not sure how to measure the pitch.