Powerbook UK Keyboard question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by powerdave, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. powerdave macrumors regular

    Apr 24, 2004
    Hello all,
    this is one specifically for UK / Irish users:
    What exactly is the deal with the key we have between the right Apple key and the <home arrow key? It performs the same function as the Return / Enter key as far as I can tell.. or does it?

    Its something I've always meant to look up and I've just rooted out my manuals and it doesnt refer to it since it only shows a US keyboard.

    So... is there a point to it?

    thanks! :)
  2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a


    Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I have a question. I had no idea that UK/Irish keyboards were different. Is this odd key the only difference or are there others?
  3. Cybernanga macrumors regular

    Oct 27, 2004
    Essex, United Kingdom
    The key you are talking about is the "Enter" key.

    The "Enter" key is actually different from the "Return" key. Most applicactions ignore the difference and treat them equally. However, some applications will behave differently depending on which one you use.

    For example, if you are writing an AppleScript in Script Editor, then "Return" will insert a carriage return, but hitting enter will "compile" the script.

    The enter key should be present on both US and UK keyboards.

    The UK keyboards have a £ sign above the 3, where the US keyboard have a # sign above the 3, there are a few other differences

    French keyboqrds are "azerty" instead of "querty" and a lot of the "shift" characters are differently placed too.

Share This Page