Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Each time I open my powerbook today it is completely unresponsive.

Mouse wont work.
Trackpad wont work.
Can't alt+tab between apps.

The only thing i can do is hold down the power button to reboot.

any ideas?
thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So it boots to the Desktop but won't let you do anything? Can you boot from the OSX discs? If you can, try repairing the disk using the bundled Disk Utility. Also, have you added any third party RAM or other hardware/software recently? :)

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
mad jew said:
So it boots to the Desktop but won't let you do anything? Can you boot from the OSX discs? If you can, try repairing the disk using the bundled Disk Utility. Also, have you added any third party RAM or other hardware/software recently? :)

I haven't added any software recently - and added some RAM a couple of months ago.

When opening the pbook, the desktop was just as I left it, with apps open and stuff, it just wouldn't do anything.

It happend twice this morning.... but now its all fine.

I think she might have been having a bad hair day.
:D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well keep an eye on it. Even if RAM appears good at first, it can go bad further down the track. Also, software-based RAM tests are bollocks. The only real way to find out if a stick of RAM is bad is through trial-and-error. You've gotta run the machine with sticks missing until you notice no problems. Of course, verify the volume in Disk Utility too. It shouldn't take long. :)

Avenger23

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Clovis, NM
I'd try resetting the PRAM and the PMU on the PowerBook to see if it helps out on the sleep issue...

Just throwing that out there to see if it helps... :)

Avenger23

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.