Powerbook update sooN!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by g0gie, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. g0gie macrumors regular

    Jan 31, 2005
    I saw this on the powerpage website- one of the websites that got into court trouble with apple reguarding the asteroid thing a few months back. If they were right about that perhaps they are about this!!! HERES HOPING!!

    Weekend Update: PowerBook Updates Imminent; Intel PowerBook in Late 2006
    18 September 2005 04:51 EST
    Jason D. O'Grady
    From the Hardware Dept.

    ATHENS -- Quickee update from the Athens airport. We've received word over souvlaki that Apple is prepping an update to the PowerBook line that could arrive as soon as this week. Time and details are unconfirmed, but before you drip tzatziki sauce on your tie, the revs are nothing to send a postcard home about... looks like a typical Apple speed-bump: clock speed and a slight bump on RAM and HDDs.

    In other news, a voice from the top of Mount Olympus whispered that the long-awaited Intel PowerBook _won't_ be shipping in time for Macworld Expo 2006 in January, but rather will come some time in "mid-to-late 2006."
  2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Feb 12, 2005
  3. adrian-cg macrumors member

    Sep 17, 2005
  4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816


    May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    Meh, Well, it has been since January... So I'm not phased.
  5. doucy2 macrumors 65816


    Jul 7, 2005
    gosh i wish a new line would come out
    so i could afford an older one
  6. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Feb 12, 2005
    what other rumors have O'Grady's been right about? what's their ratio of rights to wrongs?
  7. g0gie thread starter macrumors regular

    Jan 31, 2005
    not sure about their ratio of rights and wrongs, but they seem to be a very reliable/factual website. Mostly report on news news, instead of rumors so... yea... I predict that they will come out the tuesday right after the edu promotion ends
  8. paperinacup macrumors 6502

    Mar 30, 2005
  9. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Feb 12, 2005
    oh, you mean the ipod mini...

    yeah, that would definitely make the most sense. i will wait to buy my 17" until then. suhweet!
  10. paperinacup macrumors 6502

    Mar 30, 2005
  11. G5Unit macrumors 68020


    Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
  12. adrian-cg macrumors member

    Sep 17, 2005
    Come on. Powermacs are still very competitive and, you know it's true, are in much less need for updates than the PB line.

    On topic: If this were to happen, it'd own if the 15 incher got 128 VRAM standard.
  13. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    And I was all set to buy one of those shinny new intel PBs in January. Oh well, I can wait.
  14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030


    Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...actually, I don't think they have a very good record as far as rumour accuracy goes....but nonetheless I hope there is an update for all those that are waiting...heck, if it was a really nice update I may even upgrade mine....oh yeah!
  15. Mac Me Up macrumors regular

    Jun 25, 2005
    Let's just suppose that they do upgrade them in the next few days, and let's just suppose that I bought on today before the upgrade. Does Apple have any kind of policy on whether I can swap it for the new one or not? :confused:

    I personally don't think that they will upgrade them, but I'm curious as to what would happen?
  16. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Feb 12, 2005
    lol, another guy asked that same question in the PowerMac update thread on the front page, and everyone jumped all over him. be careful!

    no you can't swap it for a new one, but there is a good chance that you can get some money back due to the fact that they will lower their price on the previous powerbooks.
  17. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

    Oct 5, 2002
    An awesome place
    They will upgrade them soon. It is how it works. How soon? is the question. If you do not open it, they will exchange it without a problem. If it is Built to Order, they will not. You basically have 14 days from the time of purchase to exchange it, but if you open it, they charge a 10% restocking fee.
  18. powerbook911 macrumors 68040


    Mar 15, 2005
    Hi everyone,

    I came across something that I think is *very interesting.* Most of the Pbooks are on 24 hours shipping, but do this:

    Go to BTO order, change anything and they go to only 1-3 days (which is standard for BTO).

    However, try this: Add iWork or Logic 7 Pre-installed! It jumps to 6-8 days. What do I think this means? I think however the installation/building of these machines go they can no longer install iWork or Logic 7, on the machines. I think this *might* mean an update is prepping. However, not this week. I think we'll see it the week after the expo. This week I suspect we'll see Powermacs, and the Powerbooks will follow the next week.

  19. paperinacup macrumors 6502

    Mar 30, 2005

    Lol Thats quite a concept. But I do feel an update VERY soon.
  20. g0gie thread starter macrumors regular

    Jan 31, 2005
  21. macnvrbck macrumors regular

    Sep 18, 2005
    I wouldn't mind taking the current 12' PB for $1399 (edu discount) with the free Ipod Mini with rebate, sell the Ipod for $150 (average) on Ebay making my final cost $1249, all before any possible PB update.

    This is probably a better deal than a new possible weak update maybe the next day after the rebate ends. (Buy before Saturday the 24th) A better deal at $1249 paying extra for a slight speed, RAM, HDD bump)

    Any way I could finagle both a updated PB and the free Ipod if the updates are coming directly after the promo ends?

    Or is his update just worth waiting for at a newer update maching still costing $1399. What will the 1.5s go for from Apple when an update comes?
  22. northernleitz macrumors member

    Sep 13, 2005
    Rural Alaska
    Hey, it was about this time three years ago I ordered the Power Book I am writing this on. I wanted an 800 or so megahertz model with 60 gigabyte hard drive, combo drive, and a gigabyte of RAM. It was taking Apple forever to ship that thing. Then they e-mailed me and asked if I'd be happy with the computer I wanted for something like $700 less, or would I rather have the 1.0 GHZ model with superdrive at substantial savings (and free double the RAM). Glad I went large. Three years later, no real need to update to another computer... though I would like to get an iMac G5 for a stay-at-home computer and use this one for traveling.

    Er, so the point is, if you have an order in, Apple's warehouses are low on the current model, and an update is imminent, they might just get you the updated version.
  23. justkeith macrumors newbie

    May 4, 2005

    I think that the s/ware is not actually pre-installed

    different Apple products are dispatched from various (global) locations - the PBooks and the s/ware are in different places

    the different components of the order have to 'meet' en route to delivery so that the customers receives their entire order simultaneously

    ... hence the delay ...

    try ordering the hardware / software separately ...

    Based on this, it would seem that the shipping times are quite normal. Ergo, this is no indication of imminent updates

    On the other hand Apple Refurb UK has extended opening times until October (normally open just 1 day per week) ... this sometimes means new models coming ... and the 'current' 15 & 17 powerbook models are available at 20% less than usual
  24. cube macrumors P6

    May 10, 2004

Share This Page