Powerbook vs Macbook in processor speed

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hamsterz, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hamsterz macrumors member

I have an intel core 2 duo macbook (thats my mom's, but I use it), and I'm thinking about getting a powerbook off eBay. You can find em pretty cheap. How would the PPC processor compare to the intel one?

1.67 PPC G4 vs 2.0 Intel Core 2 duo

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's over five times faster in practical use.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Intel is not only clocked faster it is more efficient at the same clock! Double that...

2GHz Core 2 Duo = 1.67GHz G4 x6

5. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

6. madfresh macrumors regular

The macbook will be MUUCCCH faster. It is not even close.

7. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

I found the G4 processors to be more stable than the intels but the intels are crazy fast!

8. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

If you could try and get an old Core Duo on eBay that would be a much better choice.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My dad has an iMac G5 2.0 Ghz. I have a MBP 2.16Ghz C2D. There is no friggin comparison. His computer is SO sluggish compared to mine, even with 2GB of RAM now. I seriously would not recommend anything using the Power PC processors unless you get a steal of a deal.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The G4 processor wasn't too bad with Panther...

11. saginaw66 macrumors newbie

don't buy PPC

If you can at all afford it, buy new, a MacBook, otherwise a used MacBook but WARNING only get a model that will take 4 gigs of RAM. It makes a world of difference. I have 4 gigs of RAM and I run my entire law office on it, including my secretary who connects to it directly through the internet: it has an extra monitor, over 1TB of storage, two printers, high speed scanner, and several external drives connected to it and to do that and run my software it uses just over 3 gigs of RAM. It will be hard to out grow a MacBook with 4 gigs of RAM. I have to use a G4 in the field and its painfully slow booting although if there are only 3-4 programs running at the same time, it's quite usable, but I am limiting this to business software.