Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
I bought a powerbook fairly recently and was starting to getting pretty ticked off with the way Tiger was performing with 512MB RAM. I don't really consider myself a power user seeing as i've only been using a Mac for about 3 months but the number of beach balls I was seeing was unacceptable.

I decided to fork out the money for an extra 1GB of RAM. I initially ordered it through the Corsair website as it was only £97 inc. delivery which I thought was a bargain. Lo and behold, upon arrival they had sent me the wrong RAM. I decided to turn to trusty old Crucial. I paid £130 for 1GB of RAM but at least it was correct.

The result, the RAM has made a world of difference its almost like a new OS and computer. Dashboard widgets show up in an instant and there is no waiting time for them to be updated (I have about 16 widgets), loading up a number of high-res images in my web browser simultaneously no longer grinds my mac to a halt, iPhoto loads in an instant. I was after stability more than speed but I ended up geting both.

If I could, I would add even more RAM!

Just my 2c.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Yeah, it seems that 1GB is the sweet spot across Mac and Intel both. It's a shame that Apple charges so much for RAM upgrades when you order systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.