Powerbook with bluetooth mighty mouse issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bigevilalien, Aug 3, 2008.

1. bigevilalien macrumors newbie

I have a 12" PowerBook G4 (the very last revision in 2006) and I've never had issues with the bluetooth before (although I've only ever used it to move a few pictures from my phone to my laptop occasionally). This week, I bought a wireless mighty mouse and connected it no problem. Yesterday was the first day I used it and it worked like a champ all day. Today, I was using it and in the middle of moving it around, it just stopped responding. My trackpad still works fine, but the cursor stops moving with the mouse, the clicker doesn't work, etc. When I turn the mouse off for a minute and then turn it back on, it works for a few minutes and then quits again. The first thing I tried was to swap batteries, but that didn't help. Neither did a restart.

What can I do? Is my bluetooth card broken? Is my mouse just junk? I bought it "open box". Should I request a refund or is there something I'm doing wrong or something I can do to fix it?

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Try going to system preferences > bluetooth > select the mouse from the devices list and hit the "-" button to remove it. Then setup your mouse again. I've had to do this when I didn't use mine for a couple days. Try that, and if it doesn't work it is probably a hardware issue. Do you have another BT capable computer you could try it with? That would be optimal.

3. bigevilalien thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried this and nothing changed. I am really frustrated as I just dropped the cash to buy this mouse and now it's pretty much worthless to me. What kind of hardware issue could it be and how would I go about fixing it? Is it worth it? I've always used the trackpad before so should I just go back to that? What am I doing wrong?

4. atluten macrumors 6502

It sounds like the mouse itself may be broken. When the signal stops do you see a green light underneath the mouse? If not, it may indicate that the bluetooth component is defective.

5. bigevilalien thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, there is a green light and the computer says it is still connected, it just won't respond. There is another thread with a similar complaint on the boards, but it has been dead some time.