PowerBook with yellow(ish) screen display

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CooperBox, Aug 10, 2017.

1. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I've just (unashamedly) picked up another PowerBook. It's a 15" PowerBook5.4 model A1085.
    I say unashamedly because I already have a 12" 1.5GHz & 15" 1.67GHz, but not a 1.33GHz - which is what this is. Externally in exceptional shape - and in addition to this it was the price that caught my eye. A Tiger & Leopard DVD, all original docs and case completed the package.
    Leopard was found installed, which I erased to do a clean install. Everything is working fine. With just one slight concern.
    The screen image has a slight yellow look. I've done a colour calibration which hasn't made any difference. I guess therefore that the lcd display is tired and needs changing. Having said that it's certainly useable but not what I've experienced on other PBooks.
    Would anyone have a replacement display for this model to offer for a reasonable price? In Europe preferably.

2. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Oh, that's a disappointment! I once got a PB with a yellow screen. Pretty ugly. Couldn't believe, the seller didn't mention that before. Took it for spare parts. :(
    Actually it's easier to get a "new" device than a display-assembly from the chevaliers of fortune ...

3. weckart macrumors 601

What bobesch said. Your best bet is looking for a 'for spares or repair' PB with a compatible screen and hope for the best.

4. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Guys, thanks for your feedback. I'll look around for a screen assembly to swap out.