Resolved PowerBook won't boot with onboard RAM

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Apr 6, 2014.

1. jrsx, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014

jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I was testing booting speeds with my PowerBook G4 running Leopard. It currently has 1.25 GB RAM, and runs fine. However, when I remove the 1 GB module from the slot on the bottom, Leopard will not boot with just 256 MB RAM. It gets the Apple logo, and a second later, it panics and send my the gray screen of death, telling me to shut down immediately. Is this a sign of bad RAM? It boots fine otherwise. According to System Profiler, both onboard and extra RAM are verified and working, and show up in the 'memory' tab. I have not done any more testing, but I have tried 3 times and it won't boot any of the three times without the extra 1 GB. How can this be solved?
    Thanks,
    jrsx

EDIT: here is a report:

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I tried this once before, for whatever reason Leopard won't boot on any system with less then a certain amount of RAM (512MB IIRC). It will either show the restricted sign or Kernel Panic. Its normal. If you really wanted to check, load Tiger and see what it does. It should boot fine then.

3. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

It just confused me, because Erik claims that he's got a mac running Leopard on 128 MB of RAM. I'll have to try Tiger when I get the chance.

Would a PRAM or SMC reset do anything? Also, I have an Apple Hardware Test on one of my iBook G4 model specific disks. Would it work on this PowerBook?

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

5. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Is the 512 MB minimum suggested, or is it a limit set in cement? Will Leopard physically not allow itself to boot if it detects less than 512 MB?

----------

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

6. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

My RAM seems fine.... I think Leopard will not boot with just 256 on this PowerBook.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've had Leopard running on a machine with 256MB of ram. Not very well, but it did boot and was vaguely usable.

8. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Mine does not seem to like 256 MB RAM with Leopard. Everything works great, until OS X starts to boot. The laptop seems to function during the early stages of booting, but as soon as the spinning wheel below the Apple logo, it panics.

9. Intell, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Does it still panic in Safe Boot mode? Have you seen what happens when booting in verbose mode? Maybe I'll have to try Leopard on my 12" with only the internal 256MB.

Just tried Leopard on my 12" Powerbook with only its internal 256MB of memory. Same thing, it kernel panics. Apparently the boot cache is around 256MB and it completely fills the ram and causes it to panic. I know I've had Leopard running on a 256MB system before, I just don't know why'd this wouldn't work while that one did.

10. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Ok, that makes more sense. The PB cannot physically boot with only 256 MB RAM. It boots fine on 512 on my iBook, though.