Powerbooks and Tigers and Panthers; oh my!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Shacklebolt, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a


    Sep 2, 2004
    This morning, I almost quasi-impulse bought a 1.67 ghz, 100gb HD, 1 gb HD, 128VRAM Powerbook, but then I remembered that it's still going to be running Panther.

    How long do I have to wait before Tiger comes preinstalled on the P-books?
  2. zelmo macrumors 603


    Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    It'lll probably be a few more weeks after the release before it will come pre-installed, longer if you go through a 3rd party who has to clear out older stock. Of course, now that Tiger has been announced, you'll be able to purchase Tiger for a mere $9.95 for that PowerBook.

    Still feeling the impulse? :)
  3. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Sep 2, 2004
    A mere 9.95? How's that? Just a discount they give to people who have just bought p-books?
  4. Eevee macrumors 6502a


    Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Free is still better than $9.95. Wanna wait? :confused:

    Or flip a coin! "Heads, I'll wait till Tiger comes out, tails, I'll not buy a PB today."

    Either way, you should wait
  5. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Sep 2, 2004
    Just another opinion, if you feel so inclined.

    It's only kind of an impulsve buy, because the computer I use now is a 128/400mhz 1st gen sawtooth. I wouldn't be thinking p-book if it actually looked like G5 p-books were coming any time soon, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem so. And I was thinking, perhaps, a new MP Powermac, but with the updates looking rather lackluster, I don't think it's a terrible time to get a p-book.

    Any opinions - should I wait?
  6. wordmunger macrumors 603


    Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    You should wait. After all, when tiger comes out, you're going to want to do a clean install, so that means you probably won't want to mess with installing all your software on your brand new computer until tiger comes out, so you might as well wait until you can have a new computer with tiger and do it all at once.
  7. mduser63 macrumors 68040


    Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    You probably only need to wait until Tiger is released (April 29th), because after that date, while you may not get a 'book with Tiger preinstalled, they'll drop a copy in the box, and you'll just have to install it yourself, but it won't cost any extra (not even $9.95).
  8. 4God macrumors 68020


    Apr 5, 2005
    My Mac
    I agree except I think after the release date, Tiger will come pre-installed. :)
  9. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000


    Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    When I persuaded my friend to get his G4 PowerBook in late 2003 a few weeks After Panther had hit the shelves, the PowerBook from Apple still had the 10.2.8 software restore disk AND 10.3 panther upgrade disks. I imagine they'll do this with tiger.
  10. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

    Aug 14, 2001
    Hmm... probably not. If you were to go to the Apple Store (online or other) the day after the release, chances are that you would be getting a PowerBook that was packaged pre-Tiger. Meaning, you'd be getting a Panther PB with Tiger install discs thrown in for free.

    However, that's not so bad.

    1. You get a complete, separate version of OS X Tiger (which is nicer than having it bundled within your PB-specific DVD)
    2. You'll actually be running Tiger on your new PowerBook the night of the 29th (as opposed to waiting a week or so to receive your computer).

    So, I say, go for it. My $.02...
  11. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2005
    Also, if you buy now, Panther comes with iLife '05, but according to an Apple rep, Tiger won't. So you'll have the best of both worlds.
  12. AppleMatt macrumors 68000


    Mar 17, 2003
    That's irrelevant, iLife '05 comes with all new Macintoshes.

    I'd say wait, not only are you not going to have to muck around with upgrading 10.3 it mean that in the future if you need/want to restore you only have to find and use one DVD as opposed to installing from the DVD, then getting the Tiger DVD, then upgrading, then updating...

    Also if there are any bugs (like the 10.3.0 firewire bug), you won't be affected. You can just turn your new 10.4 PowerBook on and let it be updated to 10.4.1 :)

  13. R.Youden macrumors 68020


    Apr 1, 2005
    How far back does the Tiger rebate go? Is it only after it was anounced or is it like a month. I cant find any info about it on the website.
  14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor


    Staff Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    Only after it was announced (April 12th), but some people have said that in the past, if you complained enough, they've let you upgrade through this program from further back.

  15. maclamb macrumors 6502


    Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    i don't currently have a mac so I went ahead and ordered my PB -and didn't mind paying $9.95 for tiger...
    I'll use it for a week or so and reinstall when tiger comes
  16. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502


    Sep 13, 2004
    What if my PowerBook shipped on March 28? You think they'll let me get it? Also, can I go to my local Apple Store and do this, or do I have to do it from the online store? If I can't it's probably just easier to get it from Amazon. But who wouldn't mind going to the Apple Store and picking it up the day it comes out?
  17. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

    Mar 15, 2005
    I also am in this jam.. My PB also shipped on the 28th. I called in and they said i wasn't eligiable.. I think i'm gonna call in again and #!@# ... :D
  18. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2005
    Oh...well that gives me some time then :). I wonder why he told me that?? Just trying to make a sale?
  19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    A new Mac (sometime after 4/29, that is) will come with Tiger and iLife 05. But a copy of Tiger itself, purchased separately, like the one I have on pre-order, won't come with iLife 05. Maybe that's what he meant?
  20. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2005
    Maybe. I asked him if the Macs would start shipping with Tiger after 4/29, and he said no, it takes 30-60 days to get their products all update. Then he told me I could order with Panther now and get the $9.95 deal where they mail Tiger to me; he said it wouldn't come with iLife but the Panther Mac I bought now would (so maybe that is what he meant). Thanks!
  21. TIGERmac macrumors member

    Nov 12, 2004
    My iMac G5 arrived approximately 2 weeks after iLife '05 was announced. The DVD for iLife '05 was included and the Panther version was 10.3.5 (when 10.3.7 had been released). I can certainly see how it would take several weeks to get the new systems preloaded with Tiger. The good news is that it should be a fairly easy transition from Panther to Tiger...especially if you haven't installed any additional applications and customized any settings.
  22. kretzy macrumors 604


    Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    i ordered a new powerbook on the 8th of april, and it was delivered to me on the 19th (and i am totally in love with it btw). :D when i found out the up-to-date cutoff was the 12th i was just a bit angry with myself for not having enough patience to have waited those few extra days. anyway much to my surprise, i thought i'd try qualify it for tiger anyway and it worked. all i did was fill in the details (serial no. etc) but entered 12/4 as my order date. then it just let me purchase it as per noraml for $AUD14.95! give it a go, you might just get lucky!
  23. mfacey macrumors 65816


    Feb 1, 2004

    Absolutely, so that's what I did. I called apple to figure out about the european up to date program. Here they charge you 19 euros! Anyway, I ordered my powerbook right away with the guy on the phone and he gave me a 19 euro discount to compensate for the upgrade!

    Free stuff is always good!

Share This Page