Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorenzo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
so, ive been patient. for months upon months upon months. waiting for updates, hearing speculations or rumors all april... nothing at all in may, here we are in june and nothing after the wwdc thing or whatever. i am a pc user and despertly want to switch to mac... to a powerbook, but god i sure as hell dont want to buy a product to see it updated a month or two later. i just got back from world travels for a month.... thus back to the mac and pc world... thus back to the headache and waiting game! i havnt read much, but now all this intel talk.....

seriously. does anyone have any good insight as to when the powerbooks will be upgraded? i know i should probably just buy now, but i would much rather wait if its not going to be too long.

thanks guys

hammackj

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2005
San Antonio, Tx
rambling on
I am in the same boat as you. But now that i know there will not be a G5 powerbook I think i am going to order today and just get it over with. If they upgrade them oh well. My girlfriends iBook is 2 years old and still does everything i want a powerbook for(even playing World of Warcraft). I am just so sick of windows xp and having to use a desktop. :mad:

rambling off

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
now is the best time to buy a powerbook. there will be no more major updates so the current versions of powerbooks are already considered to be the most elegant. i just recently (2 weeks ago) purchased a rev a 15 inch powerbook and it is great.

if you're worried about becoming outdated just next year (mac->intel), buy an older rev to last you ~2 years. although i'm excited about the transition, i'll wait until rev b before i switch, which should occur in ~2 years.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
lorenzo said:
to a powerbook, but god i sure as hell dont want to buy a product to see it updated a month or two later.

This is your error in thinking. Really, who cares if they get updated? It doesnt make your computer anyless powerful. And I doubt there will be any PB updates anytime soon. The current ones are only 4 (or so) months old! Just go get one. I did.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
lorenzo said:
seriously. does anyone have any good insight as to when the powerbooks will be upgraded? i know i should probably just buy now, but i would much rather wait if its not going to be too long.

Apple currently has a rebate going until the end of this month (for educational customers). I'm pretty certain they'll wait till thats done to offer any updates (to me it seems like an offer to clean inventory). The latest I'd expect an upgrade is September, and honestly, I expect a relatively minor update.

apple_g5

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2005
Innsbruck, Austria
I don't want to wait anymore... I've completely lost my faith in apple... I've looked away, when I saw the prices of 3x faster windows portables, when I saw the horrible Apple pricing, I said to myself -> it's an APPLE

Now, with their INTEL Deal they have destroyed my faith in Apple... Forget the PB, forget the iB - I'll get myself a VAIO as portable.

[A former happy apple user]

wtmcgee

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Orlando
tsk said:
Apple currently has a rebate going until the end of this month (for educational customers). I'm pretty certain they'll wait till thats done to offer any updates (to me it seems like an offer to clean inventory). The latest I'd expect an upgrade is September, and honestly, I expect a relatively minor update.

Where are the details on this edu rebate? Does it go along with the standard $100 off?

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
hammackj said:
My girlfriends iBook is 2 years old and still does everything i want a powerbook for(even playing World of Warcraft).

you just answered your own question :D

i have a g3 ibook 600 that pretty much does everything i need (mom uses it). when i use my pb 1.33 it's such a difference! Don't wait any longer.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
apple_g5 said:
I don't want to wait anymore... I've completely lost my faith in apple... I've looked away, when I saw the prices of 3x faster windows portables, when I saw the horrible Apple pricing, I said to myself -> it's an APPLE

Now, with their INTEL Deal they have destroyed my faith in Apple... Forget the PB, forget the iB - I'll get myself a VAIO as portable.

You may actually wanna try speccing out a Dell to a similar spec to the apple portable (though not CPU of course) and they will come out more similar than you may think.

To the OP - this is why it is best not to wait - you already regret waiting 2 months- how do you feel about another 6-12? The moral is that if you really want/need on, buy one, and don't worry that 2 months later a better one comes out - how can you put a value on 2 months using a machine that is great?

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
apple_g5 said:
when I saw the horrible Apple pricing, ...

forget the iB - I'll get myself a VAIO as portable.

Huh? How can you complain about horrible pricing and consider to buy a Vaio in the same breath?

But you're right about the pricing. And I fear that won't change even if Apple now switches to Intel... as long as they charge 200 bucks extra for a DVD writer and 160 bucks for 256megs of additional RAM it doesn't matter if the processor is cheap or not ;-)

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
Once you get into the waiting game you become in danger of never getting a computer, you ain't going to live forever. Think about all the time you could have had it for and yet it still hasn't been updated...

You just have to jump on. The powerbooks were updated in january, they cant really do much more to them now, seeing as there won't be a G5 (as we know it). Jump on board, once your on, you are on for good.

apple_g5

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2005
Innsbruck, Austria
For 1700 € I'll get the top of the line VAIO 15.4 widescreen + 128 mb graphic + 60 gig hd + 512 ram + superdrive

What does Apple have in this priceclass?

I'm just really tired of those "updates" that apple has been bringing out... a speedbump of max. 400 hz, slow graphics

My deadline is until september - then I'll buy a laptop (uni + graphics)

weg said:
Huh? How can you complain about horrible pricing and consider to buy a Vaio in the same breath?

But you're right about the pricing. And I fear that won't change even if Apple now switches to Intel... as long as they charge 200 bucks extra for a DVD writer and 160 bucks for 256megs of additional RAM it doesn't matter if the processor is cheap or not ;-)

wtmcgee

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Orlando
apple_g5 said:
For 1700 € I'll get the top of the line VAIO 15.4 widescreen + 128 mb graphic + 60 gig hd + 512 ram + superdrive

An ugly VAIO with windows on it. :)

apple_g5

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2005
Innsbruck, Austria
wtmcgee said:
An ugly VAIO with windows on it. :)

I'm using Apple since I use computers... I'm really one of those die-hard apple fans... I'm willing to pay more for the Apple... don't get me wrong. But I'm running out of arguments for still sticking with a mac when buying a portable. the desktop line is really good- no doubt - but the g4 line S***s.

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
apple_g5 said:

wow thats pretty dumb whats so bad about intel i mean come on if the only reason you switched to apple is because theyre "diffrent" and not because you like their products than thats pretty lame

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
apple_g5 said:

I'm just really tired of those "updates" that apple has been bringing out... a speedbump of max. 400 hz, slow graphics

you realize the whole point of the intel thing is so they canuse faster processors so their updates wont be so lame

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
Where are the details on this edu rebate? Does it go along with the standard $100 off?

This is the rebate being spoken of: Apple Education Rebate

It must be "taken possession of" for their qualifying products by June 25th, 2005. So if you wanted to do an online order I would recommend taking care of it very soon if possible.

I ordered a 12" PB on Monday following the Keynote and that leaves me plenty of time to take care of the details.

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
apple_g5 said:

Wait, isn't a similar powerbook cheaper than that?

apple_g5

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2005
Innsbruck, Austria
You're all so right... my heart is bleeding as I'm these posts... but I'm just pretty confused. I need a fast machine until autumn. If Apple builds anything valuable... I'll be the first one to place an order. It's just this painful look at the benchmarks... well, time will show.

Facit: I'll stay with apple.

Thanks for your posts and for keeping the hope up in me

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
apple_g5 said:
You're all so right... my heart is bleeding as I'm these posts... but I'm just pretty confused. I need a fast machine until autumn. If Apple builds anything valuable... I'll be the first one to place an order. It's just this painful look at the benchmarks... well, time will show.

If you need a laptop now, just buy one. If Apple doesn't seem like the best deal and you can live with Windows, get the VAIO, simple as that. BTW, what will u be doing that you need the biggest, fastest, and baddest? And why has the Intel deal destroyed your faith in Apple?

apple_g5

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2005
Innsbruck, Austria
chibianh said:
If you need a laptop now, just buy one. If Apple doesn't seem like the best deal and you can live with Windows, get the VAIO, simple as that. BTW, what will u be doing that you need the biggest, fastest, and baddest? And why has the Intel deal destroyed your faith in Apple?

That's because I'm gonna study stuff related to graphics design + publishing

drison

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Ohio
apple_g5 said:

Just to hopefully boost your confidence that sticking with Apple is the right thing to do, I'll tell you that I thought the same thing several months ago.

I was tired of the fact that my pb 1ghz cost so much and seemed so slow compared to similarly priced pc laptops, so I sold it at a loss and bought a decked out dell inspiron(in my sig). It's fast, it plays games really well but it is missing one thing, MacOSX.

For that reason, I recently bought a cheap used ibook which I am using far more than the dell and intend to sell the dell, probably at a loss as well. :rolleyes:

You can play the game I did and learn the hard way, or learn from my mistake and stay with Apple. :)

-Dave

apple_g5

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2005
Innsbruck, Austria
drison said:
Just to hopefully boost your confidence that sticking with Apple is the right thing to do, I'll tell you that I thought the same thing several months ago.

I was tired of the fact that my pb 1ghz cost so much and seemed so slow compared to similarly priced pc laptops, so I sold it at a loss and bought a decked out dell inspiron(in my sig). It's fast, it plays games really well but it is missing one thing, MacOSX.

For that reason, I recently bought a cheap used ibook which I am using far more than the dell and intend to sell the dell, probably at a loss as well. :rolleyes:

You can play the game I did and learn the hard way, or learn from my mistake and stay with Apple. :)

-Dave

The OS is the only reason why I'm still preferring apple... as I said before: I'm running out of arguments for Apple. Another thing that bothers me, is the fact that they are going to kill "our" OSX in about 2-3 years like they did with OS 9. I don't know whether I'm going to play the same game again (switch to ppc, switch os9 to osX)

Another thing: How will OSX be in a year? Will it run mediocre on the new INTEL machines? Or will Apple force the people to switch to 10.5 because 10.4 runs choppy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.