PowerDrive Slim Video Review: An External Battery and Hard Drive Combo for iPhone

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

We went hands-on with Mazzo's PowerDrive Slim, which combines an external battery with a hard drive, to give you extra storage and extra battery life for your iPhone. There's 32GB of storage space for storing files, photos, and videos, plus a 3,000 mAh battery that translates to approximately one full charge for an iPhone 6 Plus.

Files can be transferred to the PowerDrive Slim using the accompanying PowerDrive iOS app, and at the same time, it can charge your iPhone. You'll need to supply a Lightning cable for transferring files and for charging your iPhone from the PowerDrive Slim.

Size wise, the PowerDrive Slim is thicker than an iPhone 6 Plus, but not quite as wide or tall, so it fits easily enough in a pocket. We liked the portability, and we were impressed with the app, especially when it came to the auto backup feature for photos.

The 32GB PowerDrive Slim can be purchased from Amazon for $59.99. Mazzo also sells the device in higher capacities up to 128GB, which will be available for purchase in the near future.

Article Link: PowerDrive Slim Video Review: An External Battery and Hard Drive Combo for iPhone

2. BreuerEditor macrumors 6502

BreuerEditor

They're apparently running a special for Easter that includes an Apple Certified Lightning Cable:

3. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

From the product description:
    "Life cycle: Approx. 300 cycles"
    = deal breaker. Disposable garbage.

4. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

That would be 300 complete cycles from 100% to 0%

Yes... if you could do that every day... the battery would would be worthless in less than a year.

But how would that even be possible? It's a backup battery after all. You wouldn't be burning through cycles that often.

5. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

It's still a terrible battery and you will simply get less out of your investment.

Less cycles means:
    Faster drop in effective capacity AND you get to use that battery for much shorter.

I really don't know why you would be inclined to get this unless you are seriously worried about the storage and battery being one device.

Me personally I'd much rather buy the Xiaomi battery with 10400mAh, or if you want a smaller capacity one the 5000mAh one.
    The 16000mAh model even has two USB ports, just in case you need to charge two devices at the same time.

And well, the Xiaomi battery also charges rather fast.

Imho, it's in many ways the go-to battery at a really low price.
    I have yet to see a decent contender.

Glassed Silver:mac

6. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Yeah... isn't that the point of this? Battery and storage?

There are hundreds of regular external battery solutions out there.

But this one includes some storage with it.

And the topic was life cycles. Is 300 too low?

I have one of those Anker lipstick-style batteries... but I don't even know how many life cycles it's supposed to have. I never looked.

I use it sparingly... so even if it only had 300 life cycles it would still take me many years to use them up. I'd probably get a new one anyway before its life is completely used up. Plus I don't believe there's any way to see how many I've used.

What if they claimed 1,000 life cycles for this battery? Would that actually give you 3 times the lifespan? Who knows. You're pretty much taking their word for how many life cycles they have anyway.

7. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

What is that iMac accessory at 1:15???

My iMac doesn't have a FRONT usb port!

8. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

9. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

10. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

In my opinion 300 is too few. But, at least this company admits that spec. Most companies don't – including the Xiaomi brand recommended above. To put it in perspective, Macs are expected to last 1000 cycles, eneloop rechargeable (although alkaline not lithium) are supposed to last 2,000 cycles. I'm not going to buy something I know I will throw away in <2 years.

11. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

You'd only throw it away IF you've burned through all the cycles.

And assuming 300 cycles... you'd have to charge and discharge this battery pack completely, every other day, for it to expire in less than 2 years. Is that even possible?

I'm just trying to imagine a situation where an external battery pack gets used that much.

Maybe once in a blue moon or while camping or something... but not every day or two.

These types of battery packs are typically used after you've depleted your phone's internal battery. And your phone should get through most of the day on its own before requiring additional power.

If you're using an external battery every couple days in addition to your phone's battery... there might be a bigger problem afoot. :)

Oh I get it... more charge cycles are better. But I'm having a hard time imagining how anyone can use 300 complete cycles over 2 years.

Let's say this battery pack was rated for 1000 cycles... do you honestly think it will last over 6 years?

I could see a laptop battery claiming that... but not one of these booster batteries.

I'd love to buy an external battery today and keep it until 2021... but it just seems unlikely.

12. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Let me help out your imagination a bit.
    1) yes, I can be assumed to use this device and only dispose of it after it no longer worked (recycling of course)
    2) imagine a scenario where you run your phone battery down during the day due to heavy use and poor reception, then charge the phone using this battery in the evening, then charging the battery the next day, and repeat. one might also imagine a frequent traveler with intense periods of frequent use and disuse reaching 300 cycles in 2yrs.
    3) I'd say phone usage intensity doesn't necessarily indicate a problem, some people have busy complicated lives or take lots of photos, or share their device with their children to play games on etc.
    4) how was the battery rated for 300 charge discharge cycles? Was it constant use over a 6 month period? What if it was infrequently used? or sat empty for 2 months? short lifespans are likely a sign of poor chemical composition in the cells or poor charge regulation circuitry. either of which may shorten the life of the battery and indicate poor craftsmanship regardless of charge cycles used.
    5) I think rechargeable batteries should last 6 years when treated well, yes, maybe that's a bit much to ask in this day and age but I don't think so

13. 2457282 Suspended

I charge my devices at home while I sleep. Start the day with 100% and it almost always gets me through the day. I carry one lightning cable that allows me to charge off my PC at work or just about anywhere on the go. That's it. I dont need the extra weight of batteries and i certainly dont need external drives anymore when the cloud is always available so I can store in dropbox or icloud.

Unless someone is going to an area that lacks internet/cellular service or easy access to electricity (like camping) I don't see the need for this. Yet there are a ton of products out there so clearly I am missing something.

14. teslo, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

what you claim to need is a battery backup that this combination battery/storage device doesn't offer. no need to call it garbage and list your demands for a standalone battery charger for a heavy daily user. this ain't that.

edit: fair points about cheaper batteries tho, i wasn't inferring that specifically was your list of demands

15. huntergu macrumors newbie

What is the meaning of the 300 battery cycles?

Hi,when we talk about the battery cycles,it means that after 300 complete cycles of the batter discharge and charge,there's still 80% above capacity inside the battery.That means if you use up the battery once by two days,you will be able to use about 2 years normally,after that the capacity will drop slowing until it's totally depleted.It lasts almost 3 years.