Powered or Not ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pyrotechnic, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

When adding a hard drive to a Mac for the purposes of Time Machine, does it make a difference if you use a Powered Hard Drive or is it fine to use a Hard Drive that is purely powered by the USB slot.

I would rather have a small 2.5" HD connected as opposed to a powered 3.5"HD connected all the time ?

Thoughts?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It falls more on personal preference and how fast that you want time machine to update. I'd also keep in mind that the 2.5" drives are typically meant to be protable drives which potentially could cause some issues but it would most likely be fine. I hope this helps.

3. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I use a self-powered portable drive for timemachine with my MBP. Its just easier to carry around in my laptop bag, so i can have my backups with me everywhere.

4. Jim Tamara macrumors newbie

USB devices always works good in the Mac, but you should also check if it is compatible with Mac.

5. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I think it should be. I just think its safer and quieter to have a small 2.5" HD being used as a backup rather than a larger 3.5" one with a mains lead attached to it.

I do have both options to be honest, just looking for the best ;)