Powered USB Hub Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Petronas, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Petronas, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

Petronas macrumors regular

I plan on purchasing a new Macbook Pro when the refresh is released in the next couple of weeks.

One of my main concerns is the lack of more than 2 USB ports on the machine (Well we technically don't know how many ports the new one may have).

I was wondering if cheap eBay powered USB Hubs are harmful to the Macbook Pro in anyway? Here is the USB Hub I'm looking at -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-Port-USB-2...9?pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=item4aa047fdd3

What I am going to connect to the USB Hub is as follows -
    - Mouse
    - Printer
    - iPhone
    - 3 x Self Powered External HDD's (They have their own wall socket power)

2. danetello macrumors 6502

No, it will not be harmful to your Macbook Pro in any way. But you need to consider that the hub needs to be plugged in all the time to work, so your Macbook will not be portable any more :(.

3. blevins321, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'd go with two hubs: one unpowered and one powered. The only reason that you would need a powered hub at all is the iPhone; otherwise the mouse could go unpowered along with the drives. If you plan on just carrying the mouse, get a small unpowered one (in case you use a flash drive) and plug the iPhone into the other port on the laptop.

Edit: Forgot the printer. It can go unpowered too unless it's one of those usb-powered portable printers. Otherwise no problem.