Powered USB hub slows down 2012 imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seamer, Sep 26, 2013.

1. seamer macrumors 6502

seamer

Hi,

I've tried several USB3 hubs from different vendors and had complete slowdowns (but not beachballs) when using them. This is most noticible when I'm moving my mouse around, which either freezes or doesn't register a mouseclick the first time. If I remove the hub, activity returns to normal.

Currently using a J-Tech Digital 4-port USB3 (powered) with a Logitech cordless mouse (unified receiver), and the standard Apple bluetooth keyboard.

Any ideas on the cause?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

You may need to look for hubs that are compliant with all the USB3 stuff, not just those specs that are convenient. Belkin and Pluggable are two brands that offer USB3 hubs that work with the Mac.

Otherwise, what OS are you running?

3. seamer thread starter macrumors 6502

seamer

I believe Belkin was the first hub I tried.

10.8.5 for the OS

4. Teddymama macrumors newbie

No such relationship between usb hub and other peripherals ?

Actually I don't think there is any relationship between the usb hub and other peripherals like mouth and keyboard.But I don't think you post your issue clearly. Does "slowdowns" refer to the slow reaction of your Imac?

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Are you saying the hubs you tried caused interference with your wireless mouse?

6. seamer thread starter macrumors 6502

seamer

I'm not sure how I would word it. The results weren't consistent; sometimes the mouse would work fine for an hour or it would lock up as soon as I turned it back on.

If my next hub has this problem too, I'll make sure to keep an eye out for interference as well as computer impact.

7. Bear macrumors G3

From Using USB 3 devices on Mac computers FAQ:
    The Logitech Unified Receiver is also apparently in the 2.4GHZ range. So USB 3 interference may be the issue.

8. magilla macrumors regular

Definitely in the Logitech Unified Receiver/USB3/interference ballpark. Good luck to the OP in getting any kind of relevant customer/technical support from Logitech with his mouse though. Logitech is notoriously lousy on that point (personal experience and that of others).